• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Can't believe I missed this opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
South Carolina
Got a call today from a company from Virginia, saying they need a comp check in my hometown...

I say, you need a comp? or a comp check?

She says, we need an estimate of value...

I say great, that is what appraisers do.

So when do you need me to do that?

She says, well, first we need to make sure it will appraise for 250K, to give the borrowers the maximum amount of money.

I explain, blah blah blah, can't do that and she says thanks and hangs up.

I just wish once I could remember to get the company info and the address and such before I go on and decline the work.

I gotta discipline myself to quit blowing the deal out of the water before I have the pertinent info.

But, it's like something wells up in me, and I want to go on a 20 minute rampage that they will only hear the first 30 seconds of..so I end up just saying no too quickly to avoid that unpleasant scene.

Anybody else do the same? What should I be asking for exactly so I can remember next time?

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
"I'm just heading out the door, but would be happy to help you! Please fax the property address and what you want me to do to <fax number> and I'll be back in about 1/2 an hour."

Or, get a really easy yahoo email address to give them instead of the fax number.

Narkissos

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Michigan
Just play along for the first few minutes. Get the address and LO's contact info. I have mastered my BS approach to calls like that.

Do you do comp checks?

Answer - Where is the property located?

****** County, the city of ****

Response - What is the address?

***** I like wasting your time road.

Response - give me your name, company info, # and send the request over via fax.

Ok!!!

They are almost always dumb enough to put comp check, min value..... in writing.

then right to www.MortgageFraudWatchList.org

If they call back later- Sorry I do not do comp checks. I will be glad to appraise the property. I got one this morning, I am waiting for the return call right now.

Last edited:
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Thank you Narkissos!!!

Try to get it in writing, but take whatever you can get to be able to add it to the www.MortgageFraudWatchList.org

Chris Colston

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Similar to what Pam does, only "I'm right in the middle of typing a report for another client and I'm under a deadline. Would you please fax the address and and as soon as I can take a break I will be more than happy to take a look at the fax". And then I do look at the fax. Usually that's all I do, look at it.

Last night I actually looked up sales, ALL of the sales in the zip in the past 12 months, created a PDF and sent it with a note; "YOU DECIDE". No value offered, no qualifier except zip code. I really don't understand why the LO wasn't happy with that. :shrug:

ZZGAMAZZ

Professional Status
State
California
I had a free consultation with a lawyer yesterday, who wanted to discuss the issues before deciding whether he would accept my fee and/or devote his time to represent me. Was this service illegal, or similar to a comp check?

Tudor

Professional Status
State
Arizona
I had a free consultation with a lawyer yesterday, who wanted to discuss the issues before deciding whether he would accept my fee and/or devote his time to represent me. Was this service illegal, or similar to a comp check?

Did he guarantee he would win the case for you? Are they allowed to do that?

I would guess his answer was something like this "Your case looks good/bad but we never know until we start the process, your fee is acceptable/unacceptable"

That could be similar too "hey how does the value look on that property?" "Well it could be above or below that amount, but I won't know until I finish the appraisal process, I accept/decline the fee and turnaround time"

Does'nt sound illegal to me.

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Wisconsin

A lawyer is an advocate for his/her client. We aren't supposed to be advocates of anything other than our appraisal.

Apples to watermelons.

Webbed Feet

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Canada

Sometimes people just seem to WORK at missing the entire point.

ZZGAMAZZ,

What if in our jury system a prospective juror had to announce what their final decision was going to be before they heard the case, in order to be considered for being on the jury?

I am really sure you'd want to take part in that trail as a defendant when your case has already been tried in the media and the desired jury outcome, by the party selecting the jury, was "Guilty."

Webbed.

Last edited:

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
I think discussing issues and values are two quite different things. He may be seeing if his ideas are correct as to methodology, your experience level meets his requirements, etc.. As long as value was not discussed im not sure I see too much problem. If it was ... you have some issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks