• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

cant find live seminars for certified upgrade classes

Status
Not open for further replies.

arlene mendlik

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Illinois
I have called all the appraisal schools that teach in ILLINOIS, none have ILR&G9-08 Statistics, Modeling and finance (duel Course??) They all tell me wait until after the first of the year... What, how am I to finish up the new criteria for 2008 before the new criteria takes effect in '09. If they think I am going back to school for my MASTERS, to become an appraiser...LOL I dont think so. I have an Associates Degree, had all my requirement finished before the 12/31/07 deadline (except state exam). Im not complianing about taking more classes thats fine if it will make me a BETTER appraiser, but taking a statistics class online is nuts. Were are all the instructors..they new these new rules were going to take effect. Taking an online course in a complex course without having the give and take of the other classmates, (some may shed some light on something one doesnt understand) and taking a USPAP class online. GIVE ME A BREAK...Can anyone tell me were I may find this class, in LIVE classroom situation and count in ILLINOIS. I have been to so many web pages and called and they have NO CLUE.
Thanks in advance for any and all help

Rick Phillips

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
District of Columbia
I have called all the appraisal schools that teach in ILLINOIS, none have ILR&G9-08 Statistics, Modeling and finance (duel Course??) They all tell me wait until after the first of the year... What, how am I to finish up the new criteria for 2008 before the new criteria takes effect in '09. If they think I am going back to school for my MASTERS, to become an appraiser...LOL I dont think so. I have an Associates Degree, had all my requirement finished before the 12/31/07 deadline (except state exam). Im not complianing about taking more classes thats fine if it will make me a BETTER appraiser, but taking a statistics class online is nuts. Were are all the instructors..they new these new rules were going to take effect. Taking an online course in a complex course without having the give and take of the other classmates, (some may shed some light on something one doesnt understand) and taking a USPAP class online. GIVE ME A BREAK...Can anyone tell me were I may find this class, in LIVE classroom situation and count in ILLINOIS. I have been to so many web pages and called and they have NO CLUE.
Thanks in advance for any and all help

Wow ... one long rant! I can't imagine no one responded to this before me.

In my statistics class was a couple from Alaska. They were here on vacation; however, they took a weekend off to schedule the needed class. Live ... by a human ... taught by AI ... counts in IL.

I'd recommend whipping out the old 9th grade English & Grammar Comp book, and following that up by figuring out where some close places to travel are for the coursework. McKissock offers stuff down in FL which is nice when it's cold up here. AI offers classes all over the planet--in 2-day and 4-day clumps.

I drove 5 hours to Natrona Heights, PA for the updated Cost Approach. No starbucks, but the micky d's coffee there is quite good.

Financially Feasible

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania

tim midgards

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
I understand your situation -- I was in the same boat myself. I planned and registered to take all of my courses from January of this year. Under optimal conditions, I would've received my certification by June, but instead, I just got it now!

Although Statistics, Modeling, Finance was offered in my state, the "appraisal subject matter elective" was not.

My solution?

Took it out of state at a place that met all the AQB's criteria, then submitted it to my state for review. It took 3 months to get the approval, but it seems like it was the best solution for me...

Good luck.

(However, remember, taking a course out of state has risks depending on where you live, in your case, I'd try to find a school that has approval for more than one state. Florida actually has a provision that says that ONLY courses taken in Florida are to count for pre-certification credit. The reason I was able to get the course to count is because simply, nobody here offers it.)

Don't worry about getting a MA/MS/whatever!

AnonApprsr

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
I am the same way. I don't care for online courses because I truly enjoy and benefit from my fellow appraisers in a class-room setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks