• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Capstone Prep

wydahogaper

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Louisiana
Ok firing up for my final component of the racket that is the MAI - The Capstone.

Any general advice? Thoughts?

Red Flint

Professional Status
General Public
State
Michigan
Ask questions of the teacher(s), they are there to help and are paid by the same organization that will benefit by you achieving billable status.

Do not be surprised if some of the other students seem to have everything solved, I suspect larger appraiser or real estate companies with recently minted MAIs discuss capstone results with each other.

Do as much work as possible before the class, try to keep work at bay during classtime so your report product is as polished as possible and you do not run into time problems. Good Luck !

Burney Lightle

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Since I did my demo the old fashion way, I can't comment on the Capstone program...

But I do have a question (not intended to be mean spirited)...why do you call it "the racket that is the MAI"?

I know there is a lot of MAI bashing on this forum, but why if you are going for the designation, would you bash it?

Burney Lightle, MAI, CRE
Arkansas

wydahogaper

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Louisiana
Just being grump about being at the very end of the process. Just feels like so much of this process has been "busy work" and am very ready for it to be over.

MsMFraser

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Colorado
I did the capstone in 2017. My big piece of advice is believe them when they say it will take 200-250 hours. I clocked in right at 240 hours at the end. Work on the report over the entire time period, if you get behind it's very hard to catch-up. I'd have a rough draft of the entire report ready at the beginning of class week. I had co-workers who thought they could rush through the report over a week and two and that is just not possible. I did not find the class portion helpful, the instructors are very limited in what they can say. All advice was very general and as the week progressed, fewer and fewer people showed up in the morning (class was not required at the time). The report is not similar to a typical narrative report completed for a client, it is much more detailed and robust. If you submit a complete report and there are issues, you are given one chance to revise. Ignore the old-timers who belittle this option and talk about the institute "giving away MAI's"; the capstone is very difficult.

And yes, I felt like it was a racket at the end! It was a huge relief when it was all over.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks