• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Carrierr To Stay In Indiana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
They had to extend tax subsidies to keep them there... Per article below, other plants are closing down and moving to Mexico in Indiana. Unless the USA can subsidize / give huge tax breaks to every manufacturing plant, which is the opposite of R philosophy (free market, small govt, reduce the debt,) how will they keep other plants from moving out unless they offer the same..

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/30/b...er-but-more-midwest-jobs-are-in-jeopardy.html

Last edited:

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
The government needs to spend less.

That would reduce taxes without a subsidy.

Why should everyone else pay more taxes so the government can subsidize a favorite project?

Because government told you it should be that way.

When the government becomes to expensive for the populace, it has to go. That's the human history of the world.

round and round in the same circles we go.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I agree, Marion, and imo this govt offering both state and federal subsidies to Carrier is an example. It's grandstanding to show Trump is "saving jobs", before he even gets in office, but to save these jobs they are spending govt money/subsidizing taxes. These plants would move anyway, when these credits and free publicity Carrier gets runs out (or they'll automate)

I dont' know what the answer is. If workers losing $20 plus an hour manufacturing jobs and all they can replace them with is $10 service/retail jobs, the reality is without them pursuing education or training for a different skill they are not worth more in the work market place.

Perhaps many in USA will have to accept the reality of a much lower standard of living (which is how it is the world over and people can be happy, many are miserable here because of the disparity they see around them and unrealistic expectations)

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Do you HONESTLY believe that allowing trade into the country without any tariffs is not a government subsidy?

Can you think of ANY commerce in this country that is NOT taxed, other than "free" trade?

How do you think all that money got over seas, that they want to "re-patriate"?

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Funny thing about trade. The trade deficit mirrors the federal spending deficit. Lets see if J Grant can come up with theory of why that is so. :)

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...red-american-jobs_us_58402e52e4b09e21702cdedc

He saved 1000 jobs and Carrier is shipping out another 1000 jobs, so he did not save all the carrier jobs as promised, he did save half of them. Obama when used govt programs to save jobs was blasted instead of lauded. .

I want to see if it is grandstanding or long term far reaching job retention/creation and what it will cost govts in subsidies/lost tax revenue.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
RK, thanks but I don't have days to spend on this thread and as I am not a trade expert (I doubt any of us are), commenting beyond this Carrier deal and related, to expand to a global analysis is beyond my scope ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks