• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Carson Accepts Offer To Head HUD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
Carson Accepts Offer to Head HUD
Retired neurosurgeon and former presidential candidate Ben Carson on Dec. 5 accepted President-elect Donald Trump's nomination to head the U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development, Reuters reported. At HUD, Carson would oversee mortgage lending and multiple housing programs. > FULL STORY

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
THE most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. Why Carson for HUD? Why not something more closely related to his area of well-known expertise...?

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
You mean like someone who did not grow up in HUD subsidized housing?

He's a doctor, Jim.

But I think you're onto something.

Did he live in HUD subsidized housing?

https://mic.com/articles/161289/tru...t-live-in-public-housing-after-all#.QCMgfMFlg

Last edited:

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
The Trump transition team has a website set-up where citizens can email in suggestions, comments, etc.

I emailed a suggestion (before Carson was tapped for HUD): my suggestion was to see if Dr. Carson would be willing to take over the FDA. I said that may seem a bit below his pay-grade, but I thought his specific medical background and his (IMO) understanding of the regulatory bottleneck of FDA approval could help get the FDA squared-away.
They obviously didn't take my suggestion.

Dr. Carson does not have the technical expertise that one would associate with the mission of HUD.
Quite frankly, I don't think a position like that needs a strong technical background. The government is full of technocrats. We don't need another to head up an agency like HUD.
What we do need is either (a) a very capable manager or (better yet) (b) an inspired leader.
  • A capable manager can take what assets he or she has and organize them to work efficiently and at an optimal level. A capable manager does not need the same level of technical expertise as, say, someone who is charged with writing affordable housing policies. A capable manager does need to recognize the the strengths and weaknesses of the organization's assets and personnel, understand what the mission is, and coordinate those assets and human resources to best accomplish the mission. Personally, I think a person who has managed (not started, but managed) a Fortune 1,000 company has the managerial skills and capabilities to mange an organization like HUD.
  • A leader, on the other hand, delivers something that a manager doesn't. A leader inspires those below him or her to achieve a level of performance that they would not otherwise achieve. Most leaders have some managerial skills, and the best leaders have good managerial skills, But a good manager is not necessarily a leader.
Hopefully, Dr. Carson is either a good manager or a good leader. If so, he is more than qualified to run HUD in my opinion. His personal story cannot be denied, but his personal story alone isn't enough.

I'm certainly willing to see how he does and I have no problem in wishing him the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks