• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Case-shiller: Housing Market Now Officially, Completely Recovered January 31, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
Let's see, the Dow-Jones took 17 years to go from 10,000 to 20,000. So 11 years to regain "value" mostly by taking it away from savers and increasing US debt to $20 trillion. I feel so much better that some sharpies cut corners and sunk 10+ years of economic advancement, and none of them went to jail, but some of them got rich, like Hank Paulson.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina

“With the S&P CoreLogic Case-Shiller National Home Price Index rising at about 5.5% annual rate over the last two-and-a-half years and having reached a new all-time high recently, one can argue that housing has recovered from the boom-bust cycle that began a dozen years ago,” said David Blitzer, S&P Dow Jones Indices managing director and chairman of the Index Committee. “The recovery has been supported by a few economic factors: low interest rates, falling unemployment, and consistent gains in per-capita disposable personal income.”

Screen-Shot-2016-09-27-at-84033-AM.png

Some markets have not recovered. I am living in one now. In one market (Mills River), there are about 20% of the homes listed as pre-foreclosure or foreclosed, which is showing signs of distress.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Prices are near the inflated peak of 10 years ago, right before the big crash.
This is good, why? :rolleyes:

Lots of other things have increased prices too, so...

Yes, some markets have recovered. Others are in the dumpster still.
Slanted stories. :leeann:

Fernando

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I feel the market took a breather last year and this year prices will go back up. I'm feeling the pressure to buy a property next week. I have a couple in mind. Best deals are usually before Super Bowl and I feel my window of opportunity is closing before the Spring buyers swarm into the market. I don't think interest rates will go up much this year.
Unless Trump changes mortgage deductions or a black swan occurs, real estate will go up this year.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
The number of pending EB-5 petitions jumped 62.6% from 13,526 in the first quarter of 2015 to 21,988 this quarter. However, the approval rate for the EB-5 petitions declined from 56% in the first quarter of 2015 to 20% in 2016.

The EB-5 visa program allows foreign nationals to obtain or essentially “buy” green cards if they invest at least $500,000 in American businesses. The program was designed to help create jobs and increase foreign investment in the U.S. economy but many are questioning if this program is as effective as it has claimed.

A 2015 report by the U.S. Government Accountability Office declared that the USCIS’ methodology for calculating the economic benefits of this program was invalid and may have overstated the impact of the program. The report also found that the EB-5 program relies heavily on paper-based documentation, which leaves it susceptible to fraud.

https://www.numbersusa.com/news/eb-5-visa-applications-doubled-2016

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Money, money, money
Must be funny
In the rich man's world
Money, money, money
Always sunny
In the rich man's world
Aha aha
All the things I could do
If I had a little money
It's a rich man's world
It's a rich man's world

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Volume is already slowing down with the half point raise so far.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Not down here. Business is good. Lots of new construction, with 90% being contracted homes.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Los Angeles lots of speculation and insane prices that are higher than Pre- bust hope it's different this time. !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks