• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Cash Or Accruel Accounting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJA

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Canada
Any knowledgeable bookkeepers out there?

I am a fee appraiser and have registered my sole proprietorship. For my accounting, apparently I have to choose between the cash or accrued method. What is the best method for the fee appraiser/contractor doing mostly lender work.?

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
OK you are in Canada ? but in the USA you would be on the cash method not accrual.

BRCJR

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
OK you are in Canada ? but in the USA you would be on the cash method not accrual.
Why do you say that? It can be done either way, from what I understand.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Go ahead and use the accrual method * Read the instructions below two or three times and the light may turn on :

The most commonly used accounting methods are the cash method and the accrual method. ... Under the accrual method, you generally report income in the tax year you earn it, regardless of when payment is received. You deduct expenses in the tax year you incur them,**** Regardless of when payment is made ?

BRCJR

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
Go ahead and use the accrual method * Read the instructions below two or three times and the light may turn on :

The most commonly used accounting methods are the cash method and the accrual method. ... Under the accrual method, you generally report income in the tax year you earn it, regardless of when payment is received. You deduct expenses in the tax year you incur them,**** Regardless of when payment is made ?

I get it and did before I read your post. It is a business decision. You implied in the USA you "would' be on the cash method.
It lead me to believe you did not understand the difference. I will agree it is more common in the appraisal profession to be on the cash method but, it is not mandatory.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
IMO, the accrual format doesn't work that well at all for what we do (I've run businesses using both systems); much more work to keep straight than just doing it on a cash basis.

Accrual might make sense for a smaller business who deals with a lot of inventory and purchase orders. But for a professional services business, I see no benefit.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Per my CPA's advice, I am on the CASH basis. Has worked well for my company (I'm incorporated; 1 man shop)

Noreen

Professional Status
State
New Hampshire
Why do you say that? It can be done either way, from what I understand.

Not according to the Portsmouth, NH office of the IRS. They consider Real estate appraisers as a cash business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks