• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

CE and QE classes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steer

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Maine
So, I was thinking....

(I know that's dangerous, :)laugh:)

What happens if/when we can no longer take CE and QE classes because there are no options due to diminishing class sizes?

Our State college system has steadily decreased their offering of appraisal classes due to lack of demand.

We can go to Mass or CT, but thats a pretty long haul. There are on-line classes available, but they aren't QE from my research.

What say you?

Last edited:

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York

Calvin the Airedale

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
Obviously, everyone in Maine will be suffering similar circumstances. You'll need to better co-ordinate with the other appraisers in your area to schedule CE offerings.

Check with the AI, ASA, IFA and other groups that may have local or state chapters and see what their schedules are for CE offerings.

Plan your times off, vacations or weekend getaways to coincide with educational offerings in other states. (Something you should be doing anyways as it may make your travel expenses deductible.)

Confident Rabbit

Professional Status
State
Washington
Idaho recently eliminated their provision that at least 8 hours of the annual continuing education requirement be from a "live" class, paving the way for all online CE.

Mike Phillips

Professional Status
State
Florida
I know this: when there is sufficient demand for classes a course provider will offer those classes.

Right now there only 780 Licensed, CR and CG appraisers in Maine. Of that group the only ones upgrading (needing QE) are the Licensed to Certified and the Licensed or Certified to General groups. I doubt either of those two groups are very large, and based on what I've read in this forum, the vast majority of Licensed appraisers will not upgrade until they are forced to do so.

As for the Trainees who need QE to get to Licensed or Certified, same goes for them, insufficient demand.

The only ones who are really vulnerable in the short run are the Licensed appraisers who need to upgrade to Certified to remain on the FHA roster; if/when that issue is ever resolved.

Another probable factor is that '08 is an even year - in this business climate very few appraisers at any license level are even thinking about CE.

Make any sense?

Mike Siegfried

Professional Status
State
California
Uhh...I say your font's too BIG. Maybe it's just me. ;-)

Mike

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
The worse thing for bringing quality education to more remote areas is on line CE imho. By giving people such option (and with it opportunity for fraud when an appraiser's spouse takes the course instead of the licensee) it diminishes the pool of available students.

Our local group exists solely for education and socialization between appraisers. I feel both functions are necessary for professional growth. In fact, in 1 hour I will begin teaching a class. We cannot get more than 15 people at a time and I have taught this unique class 2 times already and we have a request to take it 200 miles away to offer it.

This makes education very inefficient. I would just as soon teach it once to 50 people than 4 times to 50 people. This problem is only going to get worse. The quality of such classes will deteriorate as a result.

I blame poor economics. Our local club of appraisers lost 40% of its membership last year in part due to people cutting every corner to keep solvent. Even the $25 annual fee. People are choosing between $90 on line courses of tripe over more useful courses that cost $135-200 plus travel expense simply because they lack money and don't want to consume time.

I personally have attended courses in Houston (500 mi.); Denver (800 mi.) and Ruidoso, NM (800+ miles). Why? because of the course, not the cost. But I see a lot of appraisers who only look at the bottom line and do not consider whether it actually will improve them professionally.

It's a choice - economics right now is dominating the decision making process. Sadly, the cure, higher fees and more respect, is only made less unlikely by taking piffle instead of serious CE.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
The worse thing for bringing quality education to more remote areas is on line CE imho. By giving people such option (and with it opportunity for fraud when an appraiser's spouse takes the course instead of the licensee) it diminishes the pool of available students.

Our local group exists solely for education and socialization between appraisers. I feel both functions are necessary for professional growth. In fact, in 1 hour I will begin teaching a class. We cannot get more than 15 people at a time and I have taught this unique class 2 times already and we have a request to take it 200 miles away to offer it.

This makes education very inefficient. I would just as soon teach it once to 50 people than 4 times to 50 people. This problem is only going to get worse. The quality of such classes will deteriorate as a result.

I blame poor economics. Our local club of appraisers lost 40% of its membership last year in part due to people cutting every corner to keep solvent. Even the $25 annual fee. People are choosing between $90 on line courses of tripe over more useful courses that cost $135-200 plus travel expense simply because they lack money and don't want to consume time.

I personally have attended courses in Houston (500 mi.); Denver (800 mi.) and Ruidoso, NM (800+ miles). Why? because of the course, not the cost. But I see a lot of appraisers who only look at the bottom line and do not consider whether it actually will improve them professionally.

It's a choice - economics right now is dominating the decision making process. Sadly, the cure, higher fees and more respect, is only made less unlikely by taking piffle instead of serious CE.

Terrel,

I wholeheartedly agree with you. There are instructors, myself included, that would likely be glad to offer live classes just about anywhere in the country. But, we have to do so with the expectation of doing better than breaking even or going into a hole financially.

Most states, except Virginia, require that all CE courses be approved by the state. They charge an average of $200.00 per course for approval. Many states also charge $100.00 or more for approval of an instructor. If you are going to offer 3 courses that amounts to $700.00 before you do anything else. If you offer 4 courses to reach the 28 hours minimum, that's $900.00 up front. If you then have to advertise in even a minimal way, that is another $1,500.00 minimum. Course material, even if you write it and have it printed yourself will average at least $25.00 per text. Add to that such things as travel, hotels, meeting space, and food, you will spend about $5,000.00 for the 28 hour adventure. If you charge $125.00 per student and 10 people show up for each class you have earned $5,000. or just getting back your investment. But, if you can get 20 per day, you can walk away with $1,250.00 per day.

Any group, in Maine or anywhere else that can guarentee me 20 students per day, I will go through that exercise. If you can provide meeting space i will do it for $115.00 per student. The only other cost would be for the USPAP Update course if you forget to bring a copy of USPAP, you will have to buy one.

Now, maybe this will shed some light on why it is difficult, in some areas, to have live classes.

Steer

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Maine
Thanks all,

It's certainly logical to assume that supply and demand have an effect on class offerings as well. I'm looking into AI classes. Even with membership they are pretty steep. From what I have heard, it seems as if their classes are more in keeping with educating the student by including the application of appraisal theory.

Sorry about the font. I posted and walked right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks