• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

CE at the Forum Meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamela Crowley (Florida)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Write off the trip with CE classes at our meeting.

I know that a USPAP class or multiple classes are a given and we have some great forumites that are now certified to teach it.

Let's see what other really good and worthwhile classes we can come up with that are approved in most if not all states.

I'm interested in:

Appraising the Tough Ones

Review Appraisals

Appraising REOs

Appraising ERCs

Other suggestions are welcome! The main thing I want in these classes is enough extra time to both cover the material that must be covered plus lots of discussion time.

Dick Hemry GAA

Sophomore Member
Do you, or anyone, know where the new USPAP course offerings will be & when in the State of Ohio??????I need prior to 03/20/2003.

Pamela Crowley (Florida)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Dick,

I'm not sure about Ohio. In fact, I don't know where or when for any for USPAP 2003 yet. I know I want one as soon as possible.

Try posting the question in the Education forum.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
Pam,

I have years of experience with REO's as an agent and as an appraiser. No written course but that would not be hard to do. I also suggest a course in Appraiser Role in Contaminated Property Appraisal.

Don Clark, IFA

Pamela Crowley (Florida)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Thanks, Don. I was hoping you would jump in here.

One of the main points for the CE classes would be making sure they are approved courses in each state so all attendees will get credit for them. Since I don't know much about this area, maybe you can help figure out which ones will work for us.

Dennis J. Black ASA IFAS

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
As the sitting chair of NAIFA's National Education Committee, I can tell you from experience approvals for courses will be, by far, the largest hurdle. Costs can run upwards of $200.00 per course or segment, and approvals may be required in the state of each attendee. Some states do recognize courses approved in other certain other states, but this is the exception, and not the norm.

Might I suggest partnering with NAIFA for such a conference and let them worry about the education aspect. We also just approved an REO course.

Pamela Crowley (Florida)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Dennis,

I like that idea! I knew the individual states approvals could cause a problem. It doesn't really matter to me personally as I'll end up taking additional classes and have more CE credits than necessary. I know it does matter to most and was hoping this could be set up and your offer is likely the best solution.

I'm just hoping that we can put together enough people to make this all happen. The possibilities of this creating some really good ideas for press releases and promoting appraisals and ethical appraisers is tremendous. Together, we can help ourselves and promote appraisals for the common good of the borrowers and general public - all taxpayers. We need as many in attendence as we can get!

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
8)

Dennis,

You beat me to it :!: Honestly, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Pamela, you could not have a better partner than Dennis Black and NAIFA. They have a long list of approved courses, and have the staff and resources to put the CE you are looking for together for the group. I will attend the NAIFA Instructor Conference in March and hope to be doing some teaching for NAIFA next year. I do not recall but NAIFA may already have a CE course on REO's, and I know they have a short course on Environmental. I would also like to say that such a partnership would in no way diminish the independence of any participant. Hell, that is why they call it the National Association of Independent Fee Appraisers. A more independent group you will never meet.

As a matter of full disclosure, I am a biased designated member of the NAIFA/

Don Clark, IFA

Terry Russell

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Montana
Mr Black,

Maybe I misunderstood your post, but you stated “some states do recognize courses approved in other certain states, but this is the exception not the norm.”

What I find is that Course Provider A can teach Course #1 in any state to anyone.
If Course provider A is a recognized and approved course provider in all 50+ states. Then students from those fifty states could attend the course no matter where it is taught and receives proper credit.

The Appraisal Institute is recognized in all 50+ states as an approved course provider.

The Lincoln Graduate Center offers 35 courses and is recognized in 40+ states.

And there are many others. That is my understanding of the Course Provider/State Recognized criteria.

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks