• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

cement siding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
I agree it should be painted unless you live on a air force base and want to blend in with hangars. I hope they do a better job than our highway department. How many of you guys view endless miles of peeling concrete paint down the highway?

Will Granger

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I don't think "HardiPlank" is 100% concrete. I think it needs to be painted in areas where water freezes. 8)

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Will,

Hardiplank and other products similar are not 100% cement. The mixture is usually 80% concrete and 20% fiber materials ie.. wood.

Ryan

Will Granger

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Ryan,
Thanks for the info on HardyPlank or however it's spelled. I see more damage to homes that haven't received prudent maintenance than I can imagine. The mortgage situation is such that a buyer can get into a home if they have a part-time job and no credit. They have no money for maintenance. I'm sure there will be a program before too long where a separate lending entity will do routine maintenance and add the cost to the principal balance.
Are we moving toward disposable homes? :wink:

xmrdfghap

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
Are we moving toward disposable homes? :wink:
That is a question I have often wondered. Certainly the life expectancy of many manufactured homes (specifically those marketed as starter homes) is limited. And considering the quality of studs, the use of particleboard and a cement/resin based paneling and siding, TJI's, flyash aggregate concrete, and such....how can they be expected to last?

But I look at the number of homes being built in this area, and I am suprised there seems to be few if any new homes being built for those of us older, soon to be empty nesters. And those few that are, are in the $150+ range........

It seems a sector of the market is being ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks