• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Certified General Study Material

JHoney

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
North Carolina
Has anyone had any luck with appraisaltestquestions.com from "Focused Learning" pertaining to studying for the certified general exam? Wondering if anyone has used these? They seem to be a good representation of what is on the exam but the site doesn't provide the answers.

LeonCLi

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
California
The 4th and the last question look closer to a few real questions on the current exam than the AI practice exam book. For $120, I'll give it a shot. Cheaper than most AI books, anyway. I'll report back if it's actually worth trying.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Take a 12C calculator class and the functions of a dollar
Take or study a class on commercial construction and architectural terms
Study HBU thoroughly.
Master both the cost approach and income approach
Understand band of investment and other indirect capitalization methods
The rest should be general info.

LeonCLi

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
California
Has anyone had any luck with appraisaltestquestions.com from "Focused Learning" pertaining to studying for the certified general exam? Wondering if anyone has used these? They seem to be a good representation of what is on the exam but the site doesn't provide the answers.

As promised, I'm reporting back in case you haven't made a decision yet. I was able to pass the CG exam on my last attempt so I have to say Focused Learning is the best bang for your buck. I'd recommend getting all 4 tests. Compucram was good for refreshing some concepts, but for the price, I'd go with Focused Learning. Keep in mind Focused Learning only provides really good QUESTIONS, you'll need to prepare for a way to get answers. I ended up taking in-person AI classes to ask specific questions, ask several questions on this forum, and email multiple CGs and MAIs who are competent and would know better than me. Good luck, cram away, and utilize all your resources.

Yellow Fin

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
As promised, I'm reporting back in case you haven't made a decision yet. I was able to pass the CG exam on my last attempt so I have to say Focused Learning is the best bang for your buck. I'd recommend getting all 4 tests. Compucram was good for refreshing some concepts, but for the price, I'd go with Focused Learning. Keep in mind Focused Learning only provides really good QUESTIONS, you'll need to prepare for a way to get answers. I ended up taking in-person AI classes to ask specific questions, ask several questions on this forum, and email multiple CGs and MAIs who are competent and would know better than me. Good luck, cram away, and utilize all your resources.
Congratulations! Which classes did you take for walk-in AI classes? Did you take any online class? I am in the middle of the transition to AG from AR and took several walk-in AI classes, but I may have to take some online classes because of the time/availability.

LeonCLi

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
California
Congratulations! Which classes did you take for walk-in AI classes? Did you take any online class? I am in the middle of the transition to AG from AR and took several walk-in AI classes, but I may have to take some online classes because of the time/availability.

I would take Income Approach 2 in class if available in your area or any other AI course that utilizes the HP12C calculator. I don't see how anyone can pass the current exam without taking something similar through AI and in class. The AI course practice exam book feature problems that are nowhere near the complexity of what would actually be tested on.

Yellow Fin

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
I would take Income Approach 2 in class if available in your area or any other AI course that utilizes the HP12C calculator. I don't see how anyone can pass the current exam without taking something similar through AI and in class. The AI course practice exam book feature problems that are nowhere near the complexity of what would actually be tested on.
I already took income I and II. I also took HBU. I guess I need to take three more classes; Report writing, Cost Approach, and Sales Comaprison. Did you take any of these on online class?

LeonCLi

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
California
I would take the Statistics and Finance elective class. There's some HP12C tips and tricks you won't get from the other online education providers outside of AI.

Yellow Fin

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
I would take the Statistics and Finance elective class. There's some HP12C tips and tricks you won't get from the other online education providers outside of AI.
I see. Thank you.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks