• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Certified Residential Lets License Go For 2 Yrs, Then Told To Start Over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AppraizinAZ

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
I have a friend who worked with me in an appraisal office. We are both Certified Residential. I left to open my own office in 2008 and our old office closed shortly thereafter. He kept his license active up until about 2 years ago. However, the last appraisal he wrote I think he said was about 7 years ago. He wanted to come and work for me for 6 months to catch up on all the changes, etc and went to renew his license. He was told by the powers that be (Arizona) at the Dept. of Financial Institutions, which is now our "Board" as we no longer have one...he has to start COMPLETELY OVER, INCLUDING THE INITIAL SCHOOL AND A FULL APPRENTICESHIP!!! Thinking this is a bunch of hooey, I called and was told that also. I am having a hard time believing this. If a doctor or lawyer took a few years off, no one would tell them to take a full college education completely over!!??!

Does anyone have any experience or information that can help him out? This just seems ludicrous to me to start completely over. I agree to work with someone to learn all of the changes, but to start over???

Thanks for your insight from those who have any information, he would be glad to hear any options he may have.

DWiley

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I had the same thing happen with an appraiser on my staff. He trained with me and worked as a certified for over a decade. Then, in the boom he decided to build houses instead of appraise. He simply let his certification lapse, rather than officially putting it in inactive status with the State. A few years later when the building thing did not work out as well as he had hoped he wanted to start appraising again and was told the same thing - he would have to start over. Had he put his credentials into inactive status, all he would have had to have done would have been to catch up on his CE. As George said, its just a state board enforcing the laws on the books.

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona
i remember some discussion about reinstatements years ago. if you sent your renewal stuff in too late sometimes there was a lapse but they had a procedure to resolve it.

Here's a link to info i found in ARS. Looks like they still have a procedure and it does not involve starting over. I would ask the person who told you to start over where it says that in the regulations...

http://www.azleg.gov/viewDocument/?docName=http://www.azleg.gov/ars/32/04226.htm

DWiley

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
i remember some discussion about reinstatements years ago. if you sent your renewal stuff in too late sometimes there was a lapse but they had a procedure to resolve it.

Here's a link to info i found in ARS. Looks like they still have a procedure and it does not involve starting over. I would ask the person who told you to start over where it says that in the regulations...

http://www.azleg.gov/viewDocument/?docName=http://www.azleg.gov/ars/32/04226.htm
Interesting requirements at that link:

If a person's license has lapsed for more than three consecutive years, that person shall reapply for a license and pay all applicable fees. The person shall also demonstrate to the board's satisfaction competency in the practice of massage therapy or shall serve an internship under a restricted license or take remedial courses as determined by the board, or both, at the board's discretion. The board may also require the applicant to take an examination.​

:)

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona

If a person's license has lapsed for more than three consecutive years, that person shall reapply for a license and pay all applicable fees. The person shall also demonstrate to the board's satisfaction competency in the practice of massage therapy or shall serve an internship under a restricted license or take remedial courses as determined by the board, or both, at the board's discretion. The board may also require the applicant to take an examination.​

Ooops. Probably the same rules apply to appraisers?? The really interesting part is that we no longer have a board. No one with any knowledge of appraising is involved with administering us. We are now at the discretion of a clerk in the Dept of Financial Institutions office. Could be a temp in for the day is making the decisions...

gregb

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
CG who trained me gave up his license to build homes in Florida, had to start over as a trainee.

History, please go to here.http://www.brea.ca.gov/html/LicHistory.html

Order Action License Level Start Date End Date
0 Renewal Certified Residential 02/22/2016 02/21/2018
1 Renewal Certified Residential 02/22/2014 02/21/2016
2 Renewal Certified Residential 02/22/2012 02/21/2014
3 Renewal Certified Residential 02/22/2010 02/21/2012
4 Renewal Certified Residential 02/22/2008 02/21/2010
5 Upgrade Certified Residential 06/28/2006 02/21/2008
6 Renewal Residential 02/22/2006 02/21/2008
7 Renewal Residential 03/26/2004 02/21/2006
8 Upgrade Trainee 02/22/2004 02/21/2006
9 Initial Trainee 02/22/2002 02/21/2004
10 Initial Certified General 08/20/1992 12/02/1996

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina

So a happy ending for some board member and voila! Appraisal license renewed!

Cob

Professional Status
State
Texas
In Texas you have the option to go inactive like a Realtor, my friend went to work for the Travis Central Appraisal District, he kept his state license for a few years, when he realized that he didn't really need it working at the appraisal district, he went inactive for a couple of years and then went back to active after taking the C.E. he had to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks