• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

CERTS & LIMITING CONDITIONS

ZZGAMAZZ

Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
1) I'm seeking a reference source that explains certs and limiting conditionsFN

2) How about an additional cert that says "The appraiser did not include comparable properties in the Sales Comparison Analysis (or the CA site analysis) with questonable prior transfers"--to avoid the ardous research, analysis, and reporting of prior transfers, which in my limited experience might affect 1% of all properties that I research, and 0% of all properties that I include in the SCA grid.

Regards.

FN -- not just lists them verbatim but . . . researches, analyzes, and reports the history, implications, and practical application of each...

andrew81

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
USPAP has a minimum requirement for the certification. you can add to it but no one reads it anyway.

the best place to add a reference to the sales comparison approach would be in the summary of sales comparison approach.

Renee Healion

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
You can try and try to write to prevent stips but if the stippers justify their paycheck by stipping, well, then they will ask something. You do a really good job and it is in the report, then you will end up having to reply "See line #zzz" etc. It is hard not to try to outwit them but stippers gonna stip.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
questonable prior transfers"
In other words you are too lazy to do it? What if it is next door? What if it was last week? What if your peers DID research it? You are inviting trouble...

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona
and i'm just wondering what are "questionable prior transfers"?

ZZGAMAZZ

Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
In other words you are too lazy to do it? What if it is next door? What if it was last week? What if your peers DID research it? You are inviting trouble...
-----------

The point that I had tried to make is that a potential comparable with a prior transfer history that poses the potential--no, I take that back, that poses the potential, in a manner in which research reveals to have exerted an atypical influence on the most recent transfer--simply isn't included in the SCA analysis, and that might, in fact, be included in the SCA addendum with an explanation of why it wasn't used. Potential comparables with convoluted chain-of-titles, etc., etc., are excluded just like comparables that are too big or too small or too old, or too tipsy, although it's not necessary to explain the details of why each fails to reach the grid, so why not just add a cert statement that says the appraiser did not use potential comparables with iffy prior transfers.

p.s. Rumor on the street is that underwriters who crave attention by issuing questionable stipulations must first qualify by earning Appraisal Forum credentials...

ZZGAMAZZ

Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
and i'm just wondering what are "questionable prior transfers"?
---

Factors that just "don't make sense" inevitably can be traced if one is willing to conduct sufficient due diligence, e.g., inter-familial transfers, insufficient exposure, private funding, duress of imminent foreclosure described incorrectly as a "standard" listing, etc.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
-----------

The point that I had tried to make is that a potential comparable with a prior transfer history that poses the potential--no, I take that back, that poses the potential, in a manner in which research reveals to have exerted an atypical influence on the most recent transfer--simply isn't included in the SCA analysis, and that might, in fact, be included in the SCA addendum with an explanation of why it wasn't used. Potential comparables with convoluted chain-of-titles, etc., etc., are excluded just like comparables that are too big or too small or too old, or too tipsy, although it's not necessary to explain the details of why each fails to reach the grid, so why not just add a cert statement that says the appraiser did not use potential comparables with iffy prior transfers.

p.s. Rumor on the street is that underwriters who crave attention by issuing questionable stipulations must first qualify by earning Appraisal Forum credentials...
It is our choice not to use such a sale as a comp (I've dropped comps with multiple flip or other odd sales recently) , just explain your reasoning, if it is a sale you think needs explaining why not used. No need for an additional certification for it.

Last edited:

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Stuff like this is not in the certs and LC's. It's part of SR2-2 and describes your scope of work in this regard.

Stuff does not HAVE to go into the grid (adjustment table.) I often list stuff like this in the narrative section under "other data considered."

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks