• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Change In Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Little

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Completed an appraisal on a property in which it was to be a lease option. Sale price $187K, I came in at $180K. They (the lender) wants me to change the appraisal to remove the lease option comment as they are no longer going that route.. and reduce the contract price to $180K. Is this permited in FHA?

BRCJR

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
Completed an appraisal on a property in which it was to be a lease option. Sale price $187K, I came in at $180K. They (the lender) wants me to change the appraisal to remove the lease option comment as they are no longer going that route.. and reduce the contract price to $180K. Is this permited in FHA?

I do not know what others may do, but for me, I change nothing in the original body of the report. I add the new contract in an addendum and explain what is happening.

Mike Phillips

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida

Question to see if I understand you. The property was under a lease agreement that contained an option for the tenant to buy the home, correct? And it is the tenant (now also the buyer) who is seeking FHA financing, right?

Was a sales contract available to you at the time of the first appraisal? If I understand you correctly the sale price on the first contract was $187,000, right? A second contract has since been executed and the new sale price is $180,000, right?

OK, if that is the case, I agree with another poster. Make no changes to the original appraisal except to reference comments in the addendum regarding the sale price and explain the second contract in the addendum OR do a new appraisal. Of course, if you do a new appraisal you'd still have have to disclose the previous agreement.

The USPAP gurus might have a way around that but that is how I would do it and I'd do it cheap or for free (the second appraisal) to make it go away. Depends on how long since the original appraisal. I feel more comfortable doing it my way - might be overkill - I don't care.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
The next thing they will want is for you to put the buyer down as the owner. Not!

Ron Little

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Mike,
You are correct in your assumptions. However, from what I understand we can not do a 2nd appraisal for FHA for the same property within such a short time frame as this (1 month ago).

Bill,
That is what I did too, but the underwriter will KTD ("kill the deal") unless I take the comment out.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
That is what I did too, but the underwriter will KTD ("kill the deal") unless I take the comment out.
If more appraisers refused to roll over every time the UW claims it will kill the deal, then these deals will get killed or not.

The burden is on the UW to make the call and accept liability. FHA can be your friend. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks