• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Changing Appraisal Without Appraiser's Consent????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio E. Sune Jr. (FL)

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
The following quote is from a thread I found in mortgagegrapevine.com

I posted the thread under [Deadbeat---Prison???] in the Good Bad Ugly Client section of the forum.

"I finally figured out the stuff Herman is looking for involves mortgage companies changing appraisals to suit the needed market values, without the appraisers consent. ah, I guess if you´re an appraiser, you need to be careful of who you share your software with?"

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Real3992004

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Isn't there a way to lock your PDF file to keep someone from changing the data? Also, I use Wintotal which numbers each page. I guess they can always use White Out and a photocopier. :oops:

Julio E. Sune Jr. (FL)

Professional Status
State
Florida
Regarding PDF Files--

Just saw this today at CompUSA computer store store--

"OMNIPAGE PRO 12"=="Omnipage Pro 12 accurately turns paper and PDF files into documents that can be edited, complete with precise layouts of graphics, tables and columns"

So I wonder...............

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
North Dakota
Julio thanks once again.....it’s nice to have a reconnaissance man who goes right into the lair of our enemy. :).....a point well made by that mortgage broker. I like to think I lessen the odds by avoiding mortgage brokers as much as possible..... the odds of having someone change a
report has to increase with the slime level of the client involved no? Russ, there was a post about a year ago where someone had a link for a program that could alter any PDF file as easily as using
copy and paste in Microsoft works.....scary....

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Which means you need an exact duplicate in file...I simply do not trust digital copies of my reports on the fear that files can be lost. I see a high percentage of corrupted files with read/write CDs

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan

Don't worry about what someone does to your report. Take the normal precautions locking the .pdf file and let it go at that.

You are not responsible for the illegal acts of someone else. As long as you have your hard copy in file, your electronic file in your program, backup copy and your burned CD backup copy tucked away somewhere off site, you have enough evidence to prove that you are not responsible for someone else’s illegal acts.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I have seen a lender take an appraisal and, using the appraiser's name and license number, proceed to generate fraudulent appraisals for properties. The appraiser would not have known about it except that some were FHA and a secondary lender called him about a questionable report.

The moral is that the problem goes far beyond just changing a report.

Roger

jtrotta

You can lock all the doors & windows in your house and an intruder can still get in, thats why you have insurance; will go along with what Richard mentions, take the precautions you need and be able to defend your work; I guess it's that old saying, "where there's a will, there's a way" - computers are good for something, but there will always be a theif around to take advantage, you'll never stop it.

8)

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
It comes as no surprise that we are learning of the crytic software which "unlocks" the locked PDF report file ! I have always known it was possible and we are now learning of it. Just like the fiasco of phone company offering line i.d. blocking and then the super-duper caller i.d. stuff to tell you everybody and anybody who's calling you ! They charge for both services and nothing is sacred. We had a Forum poster once tell us briefly about a loan officer who asked him to make a change on a report, and in their conversation let it slip that they (the client's office) "could make the change if they wanted to". I remember the poster coming from same state as the host of this current posting and I found that posting (months ago) and know his city and first name. Sure wish he'd come back and tell us all more about that occurance or avail that info via "private" message (name of client !). Otherwise, we all do as Richard stated so clearly. Keep our printed copy of final report, and we back it up to some electronic storage medium....and we keep our fingers crossed. My Scope of Work text now has a few lines about client request for electronically-signed and transmitted report file....and the "Client being entrusted with the preservation and integrity of this electronic file"......for what that's worth !

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
I send a locked PDF, I have the orginal in MY files, I sleep at night. OCR programs are todays Whiteout. Keep good records ya'll. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks