• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Chase Credit Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
I just cancelled my Chase Marathon Master Card. I used it every month for vehicle related purchases (such as fuel). The monthly balance was always paid in full and on time. Each month it was over $375 and usually well over $400. Here's why I cancelled it.

My hard drive crashed last Thursday. My computer tech told me I should get the PC back by Sunday (3rd). It still isn't done and I am using a laptop which although it works, it does not have my financial stuff (such as bills due, etc) on it. I just realized that my Chase account payment was due on the 4th and this is the 6th. I attempted to pay it online but their website didn't recognize this computer and required a new access code. The only problem was that their website wasn't working and wouldn't send me a new access code.

So I called Chase customer (dis)service to pay by phone. They informed me that there was a $9 fee to pay by phone and that I must also pay a $30 late fee. I explained the situation again but there was no change in the response. I asked for a supervisor.

When Phillip Dietz (supervisor) came on the line, I told him the problems I had been having and asked if he could waive the $9 and/or the $30. He said he would check. Eventually he came back online and said that he would not reverse the charges. I asked if he would not or could not. He said he would not. I asked why and he said that he just didn't want to, there was no real reason. It was his discretion. I asked for his supervisor and he claimed that he was the ultimate authority on the matter. So I told him that I already dissatisfied with the benefits of the card and that if he wouldn't remove at least the $9, I would cancel the card. He suggested that I do so.

I said before I do, I want you to look at my monthly balance and payment history. He verified it all but still wouldn't change his mind. He said I should have gone to the local Chase branch to pay the card. I asked him where that was. After looking it up, he confirmed that there isn't one anywhere near here (an hour and a half drive to the closest one). I asked him if he was willing to let a $400+ per month account leave over a $30 late fee for two days late or a phone fee of $9. He said yes. So I cancelled the card.

If you don't like this type of treatment, I urge you to cancel your Chase Credit Cards.

I intend to write a letter to Marathon to inform them why I will no longer be buying $400 per month of their product. Phillip Dietz claimed to be the final authority. Does anyone have any information to the contrary?

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
This does not make me feel good.

I just transferred my 2006 income tax payments(ugh) to a new Chase account for the low into APR.

I hope I am not in for the same bargain you got.

Thanks for the heads up.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Chase (credit cards) is notorious for rate jacking and lack goodwill. I bet you a penny if you would have kept your account open you rate would automatically go to 29.99%. They will not cooperate, even with long time, good pay customers. I have two Chase cards, Sony Card, that I bought my Playstation with. $499 for the unit, $150 credit with first purchase and 0% for 12 months. $350 for a 60gig unit, no interest....priceless... And the good ol' Freedom. Not impressed, may cancel both this year.

If you use a card exclusively for fuel and other business expensed, may I suggest AMEX Blue. You get 1% back and once you reach $6,500 during the year, the cash back goes to 5%. No annual fee and a sweet looking card. That is my everyday card.

Jim Mallon

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
California
Joker, They don't need you because you pay off your balance in full every month. They don't make any money off you so you're just a drain on their multi-billion dollar usury racket.

Last edited:

Joker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
I suppose you are right, but they do get a transaction fee from the vendors. What is that, about 3%? So we're talking about $10+ per month. Granted, that's not much but it's something. The thing is, I suspect Marathon should be really honked off. We'll see. I have already sent them correspondence.

Charles Witt

Professional Status
State
Delaware
Chase probably has an AMC handling their credit card accounts! :rof: :rof: called eCreditIt..................:rof: :rof:

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
They let you go and thought, "good riddance." With their cost of funds for loaning you money interest free for the grace period, they were not making money on you. I hope you had the sense not to actually cancel the account yet. You want to keep it for a couple years for the sake of your credit score. (Also so that the company has to waste money maintaining the account. :rof: )

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
Suggest you open a NEW Chase account.
I've had one from Chase for years that pays me back 1% of what I spend, 5% on gas purchases (current offer is 3% on gas)
Paid monthly as a credit on gasoline purchases.

Given they don't make significant $$ on a $400/mo account, better yet when you cost them $$.
(3% profit on purchases, less 5% credit on gas purchases)

One way I deal with CC turkeys is having my bank automatically send them a $75 payment @ month, 2 days before due date on card.
That way, if I manage to forget to pay, there is no "LATE FEE".
Worst case is interest charge for 1 month.
http://www.bankaholic.com/credit-cards/gasoline/
This set of cards - especially Citi - look even better
http://www.bankaholic.com/credit-cards/cash-back/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks