• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Chased By Homeowner Again Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

App3000

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Georgia
This happens maybe twice a year for me where a homeowner of a comparable comes out of the home and comes after you for taking a picture.

This requirement to take comp photos is going to get someone hurt or killed one day. I mean think about it. You get the wrong person on the wrong day and you get hurt for what?

I may just start using all MLS comp photos and just state so in the report.

Does anyone have a way to not take comp photos?

Thanks

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Does anyone have a way to not take comp photos?

Thanks

Yes. Start focusing on getting assignments where there is no requirement to personally take a comp photo.
That is about 50% of my work right now.

(I'm not diminishing the real risk that exists. In some neighborhoods, if I believe it is too risky to slow down and shoot a photo from my car of a comparable, I'll shoot the street scene (capturing part of the house), use an MLS photo or other means, and explain why I did that in my report. If I had a client that said too bad, go back and take the photo, I'd let that client go).

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Stop and tell them why you are taking pictures. Its not like you stole one of their pink flamingos. They recently had an appraisal done so they should have a seminal concept of why you are there. Running like you are scared elicits a chase emotion like a cat that runs from a dog. Stop and address the issue rather than exacerbate the negative emotions. I've had more than 1 beer with comp photo folks that wanted to know WTF I was taking pics of their house.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
I've had more than 1 beer with comp photo folks that wanted to know WTF I was taking pics of their house.

Yup, I have done it many times.

App3000

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Has anyone been successful in getting the client to remove the requirement for an original "appraiser" comp photo?

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Drinking and comp driving.....
That's reason enough for lenders to remove the original photo requirements!!!!!

JK....:)

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
I drove by a rural house today, 4 people on the front porch and they didnt look like they were going to move. It is not worth the hassel.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
If people are outside a house drive off and do other comp photos, or take the house from a distance, explain and use the original and an MLS photo

graindart

Professional Status
State
Montana
It's why I try to take photos when I'm by myself now. Not safer for me, but safer for the rest of my family.

I have a GoPro with a suction cup mount for times when I'm not able to take photos due to humans outside. Turn the GoPro on recording video, attach it to a back side window on passenger side and drive by the property. I later pull a still from the video. It usually looks like crap, but satisfies the client's requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks