• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Cheap *&%^& Realtors

Status
Not open for further replies.

liznindy

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Indiana
I got a call from the LO on a FHA appraisal. The realtors involved in the sale are asking if I can "take their word that the repairs are complete" and send in the Compliance Inspection Report. It seems they are balking at my fee for a reinspect..... ($75).

My first thought...... well, I will not vocalize it in this forum out of respect for Wayne!

I told the LO I haven't met a Realtor yet who waives their fee......why should I?

I do favors for my best clients from time to time but I make my living appraising...

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
:rofl: :rofl:

And surely you would be willing to take their word that ALL of the repairs are completed... :) IF and when they hand you a money order in the full amount of estimated repairs plus a twenty percent contingency increase...

and then only after you see it wif your very own eyes anyway :p

I mean come ON :eyecrazy:

liznindy

Professional Status
State
Indiana
It seems to me that a Realtor who is listing a home which may go FHA financing would suggest to the sellers that the windows should be operational before the appraiser comes out to inspect !!!!

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Jeff:

In some areas, granted not all areas, it is my understanding that the original appraiser is STILL the person who performs the final (compliance) inspections.

If you have evidence that the 'authorized compliance inspector' system is nationwide 100% on any finals please advise ASAP.

I have a need (urgent need) to know...

since they closed several days ago.. and it's really finished this time and they did thier final walk-through yesterday and can we do the final final ASAP :rofl:

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Your final and Compliance Inspection would be only what you, as an appraiser, is qualified to say is complete. Yes they did put in ceramic tile floors like they said they would. Whether they installed to code or not would be up to either a licensed home inspector or a licensed contractor or/and the city/county building inspector.

Cosmetic--the appraiser / non-cosmetic--some other licensed individual qualified in that field gets to do the inspection. Only what your E&O would pay for!

SmilingDog

Professional Status
State
California
I would call HUD a report the +++++! Then call the state board that handles real estate. You're being extorted to commit fraud. You could also call the FBI.

David Mullen

Tell them that you have nothing to do with ordering the inspection and that the underwriter is the one they have to please.

No competent underwriter would ever dream of taking some agents word for anything but if they do, you will eventually find out about it and can turn it in to HUD at that time.

Darrell Hignite

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Liz,

I do not do compliance or final inspections for HUD....I can't see anything good coming of them. I don't want to be in a room with 12 jurors and a lawyer asking me if I did the final on one of my FHA appraisals.

Got a call yesterday because I reported that the house needed a roof and gravel on the driveway, the lender was irate until I told him that they could take a picture or get bills of the repairs and do the compliance themselves. Then he calmed down.

We are having to educate the lenders and keep ourselves out of harm's way. FHA appraisals are much more dangerous to do than Conventional ones, so try to get more protection.

I talked with the Atlanta office yesterday about the new VC sheets and how some of them were misleading to the lenders, not to me, but lenders don't do them all the time. I even have a website where I sell study kits to appraisers to help them pass the test and many have been sold through the help of this forum. Check it out at http://fhatest.com

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Send in a Compliance Inspection report without seeing it: Not on your life.

Worry about someone else doing the Compliance Inspection: What's the problem? You did not do it so there is nothing to worry about if the work is not done.

Always remember that we are not responsible for the misdeeds of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks