• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Check Your Surge Protectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
BOOMMM!! :shocked:
and a flash of lighting down the street was all it took to completely fry Dad's computer. He was using an el'cheapo surge protector, and did not have the phone lines protected. Opps, that's how it got it. :rolleyes: I warned 'em before.

The hard drive is okay, but the rest is gone.... for good. Stripped the hard drive out to get the data, and ordered a new computer. It was time anyway, but I would rather not have done this right before the holidaze.

Check your surge & lighting protectors. If everything is not protected, it can bite you! Now that the deed is done, I'm going to upgrading him to a battery backup/surge & lighting protector.

David S. Roberson

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Mel,

What about cable modems? Do I need a surge protector for that too????

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
A good one will have a slot for phone lines and cable, so yes sir. Any route for a surge to enter is not good. Don't just use a plug-in-strip from wallyworld.

A good one with battery back up can be had for less than $75. Cheap insurance for a $1400 computer.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
I second that! I just bought a APC backup and it says with my load it will provide 22 minutes of backup time. As well as protecting the computer.

A little power strip that cost 7- 8 bucks is not going to protect the computer.

And yes cable modem is connected to you computer so there is a path for the surge to enter you computer. Just disconnect it in a storm.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Wayne posted this in the Florida group. I bought one, the prices are great!

I was told that printers, especially laser, take way toooo much energy when they come back on, and that's why you can't hook them up to the battery backup.

I recently purchased an APC Back-UPS ES 725VA - 120v USB w/Broadband Protection.

Purchased from: http://www.provantage.com/FP_50692.HTM?AMPU059

--------------------
Wayne McKerley, AppraisersForum.com

http://AppraiserUSA.com - National Directory
http://DeadbeatListings.com - Deadbeat Listings
http://AlldomainsUSA.com - Domain Names
http://AppraiserSites.com - Appraiser Web Hosting

If it ain't fun, don't do it.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
Originally posted by Pamela Crowley (Florida)@Jul 4 2003, 05:55 AM
I was told that printers, especially laser, take way toooo much energy when they come back on, and that's why you can't hook them up to the battery backup.
That could be true Pam I don't know. But the main reason for an idea of a backup power supply (at least to me) is to prevent data loss and give you time save and shut down the computer. Not keep on working.

On my UPS I connected the computer, monitor, cable modem and router. That way I can save anything I am doing and safely shut down the computer if needed. By connecting the router and modem it gives me internet access in case we are in the middle of a storm. I can watch the weather radar. Everything else is on a good surge protector.

Also this UPS I have connects to a USB port and if I am not here is supposed to shut down the computer after the battery discharges to where I have 5 minutes of battery power left.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
My set up is the same way. Computer and monitor on battery backup, the rest is on a protector. Can't tell you how many times that battery saved my spread sheet that I've been working on for 2 hours.

Great link Pam, Thanks! Those are good prices, the APC they have for $38 runs $68 at the local store.

EDWARD BERRY

Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Down here in Arkansas we get our power from the sawmill so no problem.

When we get regular electricity, my GURU told me that there are times that an unprotected printer could run the lighting back to the computer.

I use an ISOBAR outlet to plug in the printer , phone lines and then plug in a Battery BU.

May be over kill but hopefully safe.

Watch them stray electrons. ed in the backwoods.

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
I was saved by an APC back-up last year. They are great.

Three things to remember:

1. If you ever have cause for the back-up/surge protector to be used, get rid of it and buy a new one. They really are one time items. Don't risk trying to use the same one after an event.

2. It is still good to keep a back-up of all your important files away from your computer, because nothing can gaurantee safety from lightning strikes. No matter how good your set-up, energy from lightning strikes does so many strange things that even the best protector can prove fallable.

3. Phone lines are more likely to get struck by lightning than power lines. I always unplug my modem when going away for more than a day, or whenever a storm is coming.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
I have lost several motherboards and modems to lightning coming into the computer thru the telephone cable. I used about 7 protectors one year on the modem but got caught flat footed a couple of years ago when I did not realize a storm was coming and unplugged. Got both computers at the same time. As for electrical, in the rural area, I have a lightning arrestor on the power pole in addition to back up protectors I have never had a computer harmed by a lightning strike thru the electrical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks