• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Clarification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahwarshaw

Freshman Member
I have been reading through this section and have had many questions answered but a few new ones raised, especially about trainee hours. It sounds like many people are physically supervised on every transaction. Is this usually the case or after I gain experience could I expect to do appraisals more independently with my mentor signing off?

When finding a mentor, is it a good approach to highlight buisness I can generate? I have contacts in large condo developments, I would like to use this a selling point when finding a mentor while ensuring the mentor could provide a wider range of experiences so I can have a well rounded education.

Is it possible to transfer hours between states? I expect my husband to be transferred before I finish the two years...

Thanks so much for any help, it is amazing to me that I hold a masters degree and am having such a difficult time sorting this all out ;)
SMW

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Hi Sarah,
Most supervisory appraisers will want to at least review your appraisals and make appropriate changes or adjustments, even after you are up to a level where they feel that you can be trusted to inspect the property and comps on your own. Whether they're with you or not, they are going to be the one who hangs if information is incorrect or is not the best available data.

FWIW......contacts in large developments are only as good as how honest the salespeople are. Lots of market manipulation going on in many of the bigger developments. They like appraisers who will make the numbers look good so that they can sell more.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Sarah....

It is amazing to us too! They keep changing the rules almost every year. An appraiser enters this business as a trainee, in my state it's called "registered appraiser". The program was designed to give a person a two year period of time to learn the business. In my opinion by the time a person has a year in they should be able to do complete non-complex appraisals on their own with minimal supervision. The supervisory appraiser will still review the work and sign off on it. The next year is spent increasing one's knowledge and skills and by the time the two years are completed that person should be ready for licensing and working on their own, again on non-complex appraisals. That level of work is supposed to be reserved for more experience "certified" appraisers.

As far as hours or time being transferable from state to state that depends on the state law in the state you are moving to. I think most would accept well documented logs and copies of the reports.

Your contacts in large condo projects might be helpful but doubtful in my opinion.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
From what I've seen, hours is hours; but some states only give , say, 5 hours per appraisal. However, since you are filling out the form, hours is what you can support. As to accompanying on the inspection, it depends on how comfortable your mentor is with you as an independent appraiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks