• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Classes To Prepare You For The Work You Don't Do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valueseeker

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
hello,

I was listening to a podcast regarding how wellsfargo offers courses. I do several 2055s with them but I'd like to take the course to get to know exactly what their looking for and just be a better asset.

My question is there any classes that teach you how to do a desktop appraisal or review appraisal? Where I currently am, 99% is 1004 and 2055s and I want to be better rounded. Does one seek another office for experience or are there some amazing classes that really teach you applicable skills and not theory? Thanks in advance. :)

Also does a wellsfargo course exist or lender specific in general?

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
Don't know how many years you have in, but the greater the experience (more time) the better off you are; that said, don't know any specific classes that provide the skill set you need in the field.

Time tested knowledge and experience appears to be what you are seeking, for the work your looking to pursue.

Good Luck

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Carving out a niche in the cheap seats saddles you with a reputation for life. I'm just sayin' ...

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Carving out a niche in the cheap seats saddles you with a reputation for life. I'm just sayin' ...

But, we all had to start somewhere. After 30+ years I don't have to deal with the bottom feeders. and I'm pretty sure you don't either. But, there was a time we did. Lets not insult the guys climbing the same ladder we did.

Valueseeker

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
I understand what youre saying here but I dont even know until I try. The notion came from the idea of possibly doing as many as time took to do one full appraisal? would it be comparable? Especially if there is a need for it in my area. why not? thoughts? Im thinking the time /money do not equate(do they)?

Doug in NC

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Your profile says you are a trainee Valueseeker. I'm guessing that hasn't been updated since you became licensed or certified? Wells is pretty demanding in what they expect in appraisals, I'd be shocked if they accepted reports from a trainee.

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut

Will have to disagree here; the mixture of work one decides to undertake allows an expansion of diversity and also control of that which you may wish to undertake. IMO, any diversity allows one to grow within the many options of the field itself and therefore, widens the ability of knowledge and expands the expertise of your field of work.
Just a thought or two

Rich Heyn

Professional Status
State
Michigan
hello,

I was listening to a podcast regarding how wellsfargo offers courses. I do several 2055s with them but I'd like to take the course to get to know exactly what their looking for and just be a better asset.

My question is there any classes that teach you how to do a desktop appraisal or review appraisal? Where I currently am, 99% is 1004 and 2055s and I want to be better rounded. Does one seek another office for experience or are there some amazing classes that really teach you applicable skills and not theory? Thanks in advance. :)

Also does a wellsfargo course exist or lender specific in general?

The Appraisal Institute offers what I'm told are excellent review classes. Here's a link to the fundamental residential review course. They have a recently released an advanced version as well.

http://www.myappraisalinstitute.org/education/course_descrb/Default.aspx?prgrm_nbr=851RRD&key_type=C

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
the mixture of work one decides to undertake allows an expansion of diversity
I have a former trainee been on her own for well over ten years. She was kept busy for years by a small bank that the FDIC sent some very plain letters to back 5-7 years ago. They relied on their own officers (including a stockholder on the bank board who then sit in on the loan approvals) for evaluations that were non-compliant with IAG. They brought my former helper in to reval their residential property and me to revalue their commercial properties. They are rural and most lending assignments are local ARM. They make no FHA, VA, or secondary market loans. They continued to use L until last year when a newly minted appraiser offered to do their work for $200-250. So L got cut out of the loop EXCEPT when GeeWhiz Junior is in over their head and ,of course, then they call L and pay the freight. She, OTOH, is slowly increasing her client base and plans to dismiss this bank entirely.

This bank only brought in appraisers reluctantly to begin with. They jawboned prices down and never relied upon the report anyway in their loan decisions. They were nearly taken over as a result of making some very large loans on dubious grounds. Do you think if the newbie tries to raise prices, they won't replace them in a heartbeat? So how does Ms. GeeWhiz raise prices? Her reputation rests on cutting throats to provide second-rate work. I predict her average fee will be below the local average for years to come, wheras L has maintained fees well above average.

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
Not quite sure we are on the same page regarding what anyone should do or not;
Fee's are an individual decision, you can make them work for you or not; I have no problem obtaining what I want for the work required OR they have the Option to select someone different.
thought we were discussing diversity or did I miss something ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks