• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Classify as townhouse or single family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HittiNumbasNOT

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Attached by a porch, but is it considered a townhome?

Alright, here's the scenerio...I've got a beach home with every aspect of a det. SFR. However, it is attached to the adjacent residence by a screen porch. Each residence has a separate roof, as well does the porch.

My first general impression was, "crap...it's a townhouse", but as the inspection progressed I was torn...att..or..det.. Also, I have generally had the impression that "attached" was defined by a common, load bearing wall...

If only I had a sale of a similar property(In A Perfect World), it could possibly be determined by market response... Even then, with the appraisal purpose as a purchase, it is NOT an arms-length transaction and the contract price is only 5.3% more than the sales price of a nearby, similar townhome....wtf?

I am not necessarily concerned about describing the property, only comparable selection...maybe 3 - Det. sales and 1 - Att. sale? Maybe the contrary?

Please give me your thoughts, and all are very appreciated. To think about the past nightmares I've had...only if I would have been aware of this site a long time ago... Even if I am late... I'm proud to be a part of this!

Last edited:

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
"I am not necessarily concerned about describing the property"

um.....I would be:

deed description? lot line? legally permissible use? ROW? Encroachment? porch ownership/maintenance agreement? is dwelling in a PUD?

suggest putting the cart (comp search) before the horse (subject accurate description).........is not necessarily the way to go.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Call it a SFR and describe the connecting porch with supporting photos. Make the comment in the report to the effect that you were unable to determine if this constitutes an encroachment or not while recommending that if this condition is troubling to the client, they should consider a location survey and an opinion from a title company.

Now it is a SEP (Someone Else's Problem). Your only concern is the market reaction to the structure connecting the houses.

VegasWayne

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nevada
Just because it is attached does not make it a townhouse. There are some in Las Vegas that look like a duplex, but have separate ownership and are not townhouses.

CCAAMO

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
What does the legal show? For all you know it could be a two unit condominium. The fact that it is attached or detached does not determine if it is a pud, condo or SFR.

HittiNumbasNOT

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Can I put pictures on here?

Ken B

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
First, you must determine whether the use is legal or not. If legal, I would describe the properties as attached SFR. As far as comps, you will need to determine how the market percieves the properties.

In an area I previously worked, there was a subdivision with a section approved for development of cluster homes - two zero lot line units sharing a common wall. However, the first phase did not sell very well. There was market resistance to the design. The developer "fixed" the problem by getting modified approvals to build similar units which did not share a common wall, per se, but were connected by a short (6') single-course masonry wall. Except for the connecting wall, the units were detached versions of the previously built attached designs. The market perceived these as "detached", although, legally, they were attached. When comparing the new design to the old design, there was a measurable difference for design. When compared to truly "detached" SFRs, there was not measurable difference for design.

Mztk1

Professional Status
State
Florida
A "Townhouse" is a style and it is merely a fancy rowhouse. Joined by the porch does not a rowhouse make. If the dwelling is detached and the porch attached, or the garage attached and the dwelling detached, it is a detached SFR, not a rowhouse.

I'd check with the county about setback requirements for possible encroachment.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Can I put pictures on here?

:)No Need >> says it all.

a beach home with every aspect of a det. SFR. However, it is attached to the adjacent residence by a screen porch. Each residence has a separate roof, as well does the porch.

HittiNumbasNOT

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Thank you Mike Kennedy, Jim Klos and Kenneth Brown! You all have been very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks