• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Client Blacklisting Me - Any Advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsiegel

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Maine
I have a bank client that I have had a relationship with for years. I worked with them at my previous firm and they have been a good client of mine since I went out on my own 4 years ago. This is not a large bank and my contact in the credit department has always been a credit analyst rather than a review appraiser. In the past few years, the bank has reached the size in which, I think it made sense to bring on a review appraiser. They finally managed to do this. He's a good guy. I have worked with him in previous iterations and he's fine. However, at the moment we are having an issue and I thought you all might have some advise.

For some reason, a couple of years ago, the bank's IT/security management or whatever, blocked my email address. I don't know what happened, but I had the contact there contact me through an alternate email address that I use for consulting work. In the recent past, I have done some consulting for a developer and was entrenched in a major development in Maine. To make a long story short, this new review appraiser has decided that he is uncomfortable that he is emailing me through the same entity as I use for development work and has blacklisted me. I tried to explain that, first of all, I was working as a consultant. This was not my development project; and second of all, it is the same company. The consulting work is done under a d/b/a of my appraisal company. Same EIN number. No difference. He continues to blacklist me. I am still in contact with them and hoping to work something out, but I wondered if input from this forum might be useful. Thanks.

Gobears81

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Have you only corresponded with the review appraiser thus far? If so, try requesting a meeting with the bank president, VP, or maybe someone else in the appraisal department who the reviewer works under. If it isn't a large bank, they should be fairly approachable, especially if you've met them before.

graindart

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Montana
If the email address is the only hiccup, just setup a different email address. They're dime-a-dozen. However, I highly doubt this is based on the review appraiser not liking your email address.

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
I have a bank client that I have had a relationship with for years. I worked with them at my previous firm and they have been a good client of mine since I went out on my own 4 years ago. This is not a large bank and my contact in the credit department has always been a credit analyst rather than a review appraiser. In the past few years, the bank has reached the size in which, I think it made sense to bring on a review appraiser. They finally managed to do this. He's a good guy. I have worked with him in previous iterations and he's fine. However, at the moment we are having an issue and I thought you all might have some advise.

For some reason, a couple of years ago, the bank's IT/security management or whatever, blocked my email address. I don't know what happened, but I had the contact there contact me through an alternate email address that I use for consulting work. In the recent past, I have done some consulting for a developer and was entrenched in a major development in Maine. To make a long story short, this new review appraiser has decided that he is uncomfortable that he is emailing me through the same entity as I use for development work and has blacklisted me. I tried to explain that, first of all, I was working as a consultant. This was not my development project; and second of all, it is the same company. The consulting work is done under a d/b/a of my appraisal company. Same EIN number. No difference. He continues to blacklist me. I am still in contact with them and hoping to work something out, but I wondered if input from this forum might be useful. Thanks.

Are you running for President ?
Ask him what he would be comfortable with as an alternate email - it would appear to be a little "quirk" in the reviewers mind set.
As I'm thinking on the run, does this little quirk have anything to do with an "E&O Insurance" compliance issue ??

Noreen

Professional Status
State
New Hampshire
Are you running for President ?
Ask him what he would be comfortable with as an alternate email - it would appear to be a little "quirk" in the reviewers mind set.
As I'm thinking on the run, does this little quirk have anything to do with an "E&O Insurance" compliance issue ??

It sounds like they are afraid of both of these entities on the same main server. I would do a new email address to save the relationship.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
The bank is uncomfortable wih your relations to developers especially if you are doing commercial appraisals for them. I doubt you have any recourse even the regulators would back the bank on that issue.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Have you only corresponded with the review appraiser thus far? If so, try requesting a meeting with the bank president, VP, or maybe someone else in the appraisal department who the reviewer works under. If it isn't a large bank, they should be fairly approachable, especially if you've met them before.
Exactly.

Talk to the bank (and I'd tell the reviewer you are going to talk to the bank; s/he should have no issue with that and if I were the reviewer in question, I'd encourage you to do so).
This isn't a "confrontational" thing. This is a "clarification" thing. Find out what they find objectionable and determine if if you can remove the objections. Maybe you can, maybe you cannot.
But, obviously, if the decision not to use you anymore is linked to whatever relationship you had with developers, then that is the point of concern. On the surface, it may be a legitimate one from the bank's perspective.

It doesn't sound like a work-quality issue. It is simply how they perceive your relationship with developers. If you can eliminate that objection/concern, all is well. If you cannot, that would be unfortunate but not (IMO) a bad mark on your reputation or the bank's.

Good luck!

Last edited:

tsiegel

Professional Status
State
Maine

I was thinking of doing this as a step after negotiating with the reviewer. I did not want to seem like I was going over his head. I have had a good relationship with his boss and I feel like a meeting would be well received.

tsiegel

Professional Status
State
Maine
If the email address is the only hiccup, just setup a different email address. They're dime-a-dozen. However, I highly doubt this is based on the review appraiser not liking your email address.

I think you are correct. It is my relationship with some developers. However, I have always kept my nose clean. I don't bid on jobs where the borrower is someone that I am remotely connected to. Shouldn't be an issue and I cannot be the only appraiser to straddle the two disciplines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks