• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Closet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanny A Freng

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Minnesota
Got a realtor saying that a we can count a room that does not have a closet as a legal bedroom, I was always under the impression legal bedroom = legal egress, closet, and a door. I am located in MN if it is region specific.

Thanks!

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
It depends.

Typically, if a wardrobe can be fitted into the room along with a bed, it could be counted as a bedroom.....

How old is the house?
How would a closet in that room compare in the minds of the buyers???

Lanny A Freng

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Minnesota
college rental house, I am sure they dont care about closets, throwthe clothes on the floor next to the playstation and beer cans.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Foooood Fight !!!!!!! we don't need no stinkin closets we stack the cases on top of the kegs......

depending on the actual age (see Pam's post) - many "frat houses' are typically late 1800s thru early 1900s old style colonials...... if so ...........lack of individual closets are characteristic. recommend contacting listing n selling agents of potentional comps and confirming if this feature is typical in the local market. Minor Functional Obsolescence, Curable if not. (also verify local actives & contracts and older/dated sales of the most similar props). Let the Market guide you.

lizhorvath

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
I agree with Mike and Pam. In my area, most of the homes without closets were built in the era of Wardrobes and Armoires. Still considered it a bedroom. Plus, remember, people and therefore likely beds were smaller before.
How the heck anyone can sleep with their spouse in a 3/4 or double bed is beyond me, but they did it.
Maybe that's why people back then had more kids than I do.

Kevin A. Spellman

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Speak with the health department or the building department for the minimum requirement to be considered sleeping quarters. Here in MA 70 square feet and an egress to the exterior that satisfy fire-rescue.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Got a realtor saying that a we can count a room that does not have a closet as a legal bedroom, I was always under the impression legal bedroom = legal egress, closet, and a door. I am located in MN if it is region specific.

Thanks!
Just how much does it matter what you call it? The name of the room doesn't change it. How would a typical buyer look at the property? What other houses would they consider substitutes for the property and vice versa. Why do so many get hung up on names? I've never known a home owner to call an expert to decide if they can put a bed in a room.

Mztk1

Professional Status
State
Florida
Those college houses are often rented by the bedroom, and the large bedrooms can fit two tenants. They'll count the mud room off the kitchen as a bedroom if they can get someone to rent it as one. Chances are, it's a bedroom (not the mud room, the other room).

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
I was always under the impression legal bedroom = legal egress, closet, and a door.

Just another of those Old Wives Tales. :sad:

You can count it as just about anything you wish.

But first ask yourself these questions: What is the utility of the room? How would the market see it? What would be and what is it's present utility?

If the market sees it as a bedroom and a typical buyer would utilize it as a bedroom, do you really have any justification for saying that it does not have bedroom utility and should not be counted as a bedroom?

resiarppa

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Rhode Island
Lanny, What is the realtors motive? I would check the assessors records against the MLS data and develop your own opinion which may or may not be consistent with the realtors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks