• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Closing Restaurants Will It Cascade into Unintended Consequences?

Zoe

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
The local Golden Trough was a fairly disgusting place to eat and I hope none ever open their doors again.

OTOH, I agree there will be a lot of restaurants closing but if there was a demand for a restaurant in that location, pre-pandemic, there will be demand for one after and someone will fill the open spot.

As far as unintended consequences....there are ALWAYS unintended consequences. We just can't see them coming yet, sorta like the light at the end of the tunnel; daylight or headlight?
I don't care if I ever eat at another buffet. I can find food in backyard if I have to.

Alsie35

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Since 90% of all restaurant enterprises fail in the end anyway, I am not sure that there will be as much of an impact as some fear. When the lockdowns are over, new investors will undoubtedly take over many of the closed businesses and restart them.

You know .... Capitalism. (Unless its outlawed by then ;))

Zoe

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Last edited:

Alsie35

Professional Status
State
California
A country boy will survive

Hank Williams, Jr. - "A Country Boy Can Survive" (Official Music Video) - YouTube

I don't want a dictator like Russia or North Korea or China. Putin is probably richest man alive and most power. I don't want that here. China is probably most wicked. I don't want that. North Korea is bad. I don't want that. North Korea dictator killed his own family.
Reading this (somewhat bizarre and cryptic) comment, I am GLAD that I only read the first post of this thread before replying on the topic of restaurant closures. I don't know what happened on the 4 pages in between, and I have no intention of finding out! :LOL:

Reactions: Zoe

Zoe

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Reading this (somewhat bizarre and cryptic) comment, I am GLAD that I only read the first post of this thread before replying on the topic of restaurant closures. I don't know what happened on the 4 pages in between, and I have no intention of finding out! :LOL:
I just got started.

The Warrior Monk

Staff member
Professional Status
State
New York
It seems to be to be a punitive action, if not an outright taking of property rights. So will this ripple thru their entire economy? I don't see how commercial real estate will hold up prices or why many small businesses will not flee the area.
There are plenty of lawsuits here in NY for all sorts of classes of businesses. I casually follow what is going on with the fitness industry, and they are making progress. Notably they are forcing the governor, through the filing of lawsuits and through the courts, to provide the evidence that he is using to justify shutting down segments of the economy. It turns out that he actually doesn't have the evidence, and is already changing his course of action because he's being forced to show his hand.

I know that there are various restaurants here in NY that have filed class action suits against the state for billions of dollars.

Zoe

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
There are plenty of lawsuits here in NY for all sorts of classes of businesses. I casually follow what is going on with the fitness industry, and they are making progress. Notably they are forcing the governor, through the filing of lawsuits and through the courts, to provide the evidence that he is using to justify shutting down segments of the economy. It turns out that he actually doesn't have the evidence, and is already changing his course of action because he's being forced to show his hand.

I know that there are various restaurants here in NY that have filed class action suits against the state for billions of dollars.
This vaccine is going to make a huge difference. I don't how long it will take.

Zoe

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Need a stimulus package right now. I hate to see that too because of national debt.

Zoe

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Some states are going broke and they can't do anything because they have no money.

Alsie35

Professional Status
State
California
I just got started.
I see. I am getting an inkling that the discussion might have touched on some of the policies of "lockdown state governors". In which case - I agree with your sentiment completely. (y) I don't even have to tell you what our open-vineyard-party-hosting-slicked-back-hair-moron out here on the left coast is busy doing right now ...

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks