• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Closing Restaurants Will It Cascade into Unintended Consequences?

Zoe

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
In Shelby County, just recently, they have mandated masks in public places, they have limited number of patrons in restaurants, and closed bars at like 10-11pm. Understand that is County Govt mandates, ordinances. There are penalties for violations. You could literally lose your business license on top of being fined. You could be shut down totally.

Last edited:

Zoe

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I see. I am getting an inkling that the discussion might have touched on some of the policies of "lockdown state governors". In which case - I agree with your sentiment completely. (y) I don't even have to tell you what our open-vineyard-party-hosting-slicked-back-hair-moron out here on the left coast is busy doing right now ...
260,000 plus lives is key. I have heard several testimonies. They make me cry

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
various restaurants here in NY that have filed class action suits against the state for billions of dollars.
I hope they win and I know I can only dream that they take the money out of the salaries of the elected officials of the state.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
260,000 plus lives is key.
That's the equal of a bad flu year. Over 600,000 will die of cancer in 2020. Whatcha doing about that? 655,000 die of heart disease. Whatcha doing about that?
Shutting down the economy? Picking winners and losers? Cry some more crocodile tears for me. 800,000 people commit suicide annually and despair and lack of money, loss of income, etc. is a major factor in those. How many people who lost their job due to some Tyrant Governor blew their brains out?

Alsie35

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
That's the equal of a bad flu year. Over 600,000 will die of cancer in 2020. Whatcha doing about that? 655,000 die of heart disease. Whatcha doing about that?
Shutting down the economy? Picking winners and losers? Cry some more crocodile tears for me. 800,000 people commit suicide annually and despair and lack of money, loss of income, etc. is a major factor in those. How many people who lost their job due to some Tyrant Governor blew their brains out?
The truth of the matter is that this virus just has to work its way through. That's what viruses do. And the level of lockdown/mask use doesn't seem to have much to do with the final #s in the end (disclaimer: Island nations like NZ and Japan or S Korea (a de facto island due to the closed N border) can be excluded here because they are easier to quarantine). If you look at Europe, you can't find any trend that makes sense in this regard. We may find that some populations (Germans, Slavs) are more genetically resistant than Latins and Anglo-Saxons (the death stats would suggest that) but again, then again we may not. The smart thing to do is to protect and isolate those we know are most at risk (elderly, ill, obese) and let the rest of the economy work with some restrictions like mask use and limits on large in - person gatherings. Mass-lockdowns just "kick" the "spike" in infections down the road. the virus will have to work its way through - hopefully the vaccine will help it on its way out ...

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
I thought we were following "the science." I
"Scientists say" is Orwellian code word for "politicians say". As pointed out elsewhere, the governors shutting down entire industries are getting pushback via lawsuits. And the responses makes it crystal clear that they are making these as virtue signaling and not based upon any known "science" nor even the recommendations of WHO who came out saying not to use shut downs as a long term solution.
"WHO is hopeful that countries will use targeted interventions where and when needed, based on the local situation. We well understand the frustration that many people, communities and governments are feeling as the pandemic drags on, and as cases rise again. There are no shortcuts, and no silver bullets."

Sadly, a survey just indicated about 50% of those polled want the government to stop the Covid virus, as if you can actually put the genie back in the bottle. Sorry, but Covid is here to stay and is only going to be muted by vaccine and herd immunity as our bodies develop some resistance - as it is and was with every other viral attack upon humans.

djd09

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
they are going to impeach dewine for all his unconstitutional "mandates". hip hip.

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
North Dakota
Since 90% of all restaurant enterprises fail in the end anyway, I am not sure that there will be as much of an impact as some fear. When the lockdowns are over, new investors will undoubtedly take over many of the closed businesses and restart them.

You know .... Capitalism. (Unless its outlawed by then ;))
Very true, when I was an advertising peddler in a previous life we used to have office pools like sports betting based on when specific restaurants would close.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
Restaurants, like mom-and-pop groceries, may have the 90% failure rate, but their families never starve.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks