• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Cold Storage in Basement? To Count in Basement Area or not?

Tom D

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
we have that in most row homes that have a porch. there were 2 purposes for it. that may be the only large window to exit the basement in an emergency. that is where the coal went on delivery day. you call it cold storage, but functionally it is basement space with that usage. i suppose long ago we had a coal storage room. didn't matter then, appraisals were done on a postcard.

andrew81

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
Ive seen many upper grade homes here with these porch basement areas. my favorite are the ones with a swinging shelf hiding a safe room.

most people around here call the area a storm shelter.

ive included it and not included it, never been questioned about it

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I always count those areas as basement. I label it as unfinished area under porch.

Mark K

Professional Status
State
Indiana
i suppose long ago we had a coal storage room. didn't matter then, appraisals were done on a postcard.
More than likely, in the coal delivery days, the 'appraisal' was performed by the local bank President and a couple of board members driving past the houses on the way to a three martini, expense account lunch where they would decide which loan(s) to approve.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Root cellar. The basement, finished or not, is not GLA. So sketch and value the basement separate from the GLA. If finished but an unfinished area then value those separately too. It isn't invisible.

djd09

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
the 'chief' is questioning 120 sq ft of (comp) basement. they must be bored.

typically these areas are not conforming basement. some are short enough i consider them crawl space.

Last edited:

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Looks like a separate room.
In the basement.
No value "given". :peace:

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks