• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

College Level Courses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshine007

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
I missed the November 1st deadline (in Texas) to upgrade my license level to certified without having to provide the additional classes as required now including 21 units of college level classes and additional appraisal classes.

I have all but 6 units of the college classwork completed from many years ago when i was in college that will be acceptable per my state licensing board. I still need a finance and a statistics class am at a loss for what is the best/easiest route to get these two classes completed.

I am feeling the time crunch as I know FHA will soon require all the appraisers to be licensed. Can anyone give me direction as to the fastest route i should take?

Thanks!

stefan olafson

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Dakota
Isn't there a college in Austin? Maybe a Junior College? There has to be a number of them in your area of Texas. Maybe a community college or tech school???? Check around and make sure you verify with your state board that what you are taking will qualify..

rbrienza

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Colorado
I would take the classes from some Jr college or Community College. Also Some online Colleges... you may even find University of Phoenix, National University..

Sunshine007

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
I just talked to the U of Phoenix and am thinking about them. We do have a community college here and that might be an option. Thanks for helping me out!

Alan Simmons

Professional Status
State
Alabama
Finance and Statistics…

Another avenue is distance learning. MANY schools (Ivy on down) offer statistics and finance courses through distance learning. You should be able to take the courses as a non-degree seeking student (you get credit that can later be applied to a degree if desired but do not go through the “formal” application process). Distance learning can also fit well with an appraiser’s oddball schedule.

I am not sure I would want to take a statistics class over the internet but that is just me. I am sure others would prefer it. A basic finance class should not be any problem.

I am currently a student of the University of Florida from my home computer. I have found the courses well prepared and administered. I am amazed at just how connected to the campus I am and I have been very impress with the UF program. Oddly enough, my tuition is cheaper than if I attended my local CC (my situation my not be indicative and non-degree seeking students DO NOT get financial aid). I am even going to the Vandy-Florida game this weekend (Bear forgive me).

Walter Kirk

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
I needed a statistics course to prepare me for grad school. My local community college offered the course one night per week at a local high school. The tuition was less than $100.

Mike Phillips

Professional Status
State
Florida
I missed the November 1st deadline (in Texas) to upgrade my license level to certified without having to provide the additional classes as required now including 21 units of college level classes and additional appraisal classes.

I have all but 6 units of the college classwork completed from many years ago when i was in college that will be acceptable per my state licensing board. I still need a finance and a statistics class am at a loss for what is the best/easiest route to get these two classes completed.

I am feeling the time crunch as I know FHA will soon require all the appraisers to be licensed. Can anyone give me direction as to the fastest route i should take?

Thanks!

I'm guessing you meant Certified. Licensed is licensed; Certified is licensed and certified.

Finance 101 and Statistics 101 are typically taught at the community college level via distance learning (primarily on line). This requires some (but very little) class participation and usually a supervised final exam.

Finance 101 is not hard; it amounts to being able to apply the six functions of the $ to real world decision-making. Just do your homework. Statistics 101 is a challenge for many people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks