• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Colorado Licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Feith

Freshman Member
I've gotten my 2000 hours in working for peanuts (or a lot of the time nothing),and now I'm getting ready to move out on my own. I can get the school and testing passed, but I'm worried that the Appraiser that I've been having sign off for me might not confirm my time. There have been some real ethical lapses on his part while I've worked there (mostly having to do with my pay and customer service, not USPAP), and I'm looking for advice on how to handle it if there's a problem when I try to upgrade my license level and get out from under this guy.

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Hi David,

If you can verify the work that you've done then I wouldn't worry about your mentor. Chance are he will cooperate with the state board if they ask him about the work you did under his supervision.

Do you have copies of all of the appraisals you've performed and that you'll be putting into your log? Each should have either your signature along with your supervisory appraisers, or acknowledge what contributions you made to the appraisal somewhere in the text.

Make a call or e-mail Steward Leach if you have any questions such as how many hours you can attribute to each appraisal (I've heard that the board gets nervous if it's over 7 or 8 on standard residential appraisals, but he should be able to verify) or what you will need to do if you don't have copies of your work.

Patti Jury

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Colorado
He has to have a record of all his files.. And So do you I hope! Files have to be kept at least 5 years.. Most appraisers that I know.. Never really get around to disgarding files.. :rofl:

I hope you have files of your own to back up your hours.. If not.. than I fear you don't have much in you corner.

If you do.. than you can dispute your files against his and he must produce to the Board in any dispute!
I hope you kept good records!

Damon Young

Sophomore Member
Any newbies out there should pay attention to this thread. Do not put off your logs. Fill them out weekly and have your mentor sign at that time. That solves any problems of this nature.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
In the past all we had to provide was a copy of our master log indicating what appraisals the trainee did or how much assistance he or she provided. I understand the state is taking a much harder look at those logs now.

All new trainees should keep their own log. They should also keep a copy of the appraisal too. Do not rely on the mentor because presently it is not his/her responsibility to do that for you. The state will not force a licensed or certified appraiser to provide a log at this time.

The last time Stewart spoke to our local appraiser's group he said trainee's could claim 4 to 6 hours per appraisal (URAR) and somewhat less for 2055s. As Dee Dee said, call them in Denver for a straight answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks