• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Commercial Use/Residential Zoning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Bounds

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
I have received a request to do an appraisal on a property that is zoned single family residential but the owner of the property has been granted a special exception permit allowing him to operate a business and lease space to other businesses. If he transfers the property the special exception permit is void and the property would have to transfer back to a single family residence. So should the property be appraised as a single family with cost to cure or as a commercial property? Thanks for the help!

Abester

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
What would a typical buyer be buying? Answer that, and you have your solution...

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I have received a request to do an appraisal on a property that is zoned single family residential but the owner of the property has been granted a special exception permit allowing him to operate a business and lease space to other businesses. If he transfers the property the special exception permit is void and the property would have to transfer back to a single family residence. So should the property be appraised as a single family with cost to cure or as a commercial property? Thanks for the help!
What is the highest and best use? Appraise it to that.

Mztk1

Professional Status
State
Florida
If he transfers the property the special exception permit is void and the property would have to transfer back to a single family residence. So should the property be appraised as a single family with cost to cure or as a commercial property? Thanks for the help!

You've answered your own question.

The appraised value is what the house would sell for if it were closing on the effective date. So, if the house were closing on the effective date, i.e., it is transferring, than the use reverts to residential.

Make sure you disclose that the reportis based on the hypothetical condition that any new owner who tries to obtain the special use permit will be denied. And before you make the extraordinary assumption, make sure it is reasonable by calling the town to find out if it is hard to get or not.

Scott R Marshall

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
If the special use permit is for the homeowner of the property and not the property itself, based on what you said appraise it as a single family residence. Depending on what "modifications" the current owner has made to the property, if any, in order to make the subject more "commercial", your cost to cure may become an issue but other than that it should not be a problem. I recently appraised a B & B with a similar situation, permit went with the owner not the house. If at all possible, get a copy of that permit for your work file or make some phone calls to the local planning and zoning department to make sure that the special use doesn't transfer to a new owner. And don't forget to report the current use in the appraisal report!!!

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Mexico
If the special use permit is for the homeowner of the property and not the property itself, based on what you said appraise it as a single family residence. Depending on what "modifications" the current owner has made to the property, if any, in order to make the subject more "commercial", your cost to cure may become an issue but other than that it should not be a problem. I recently appraised a B & B with a similar situation, permit went with the owner not the house. If at all possible, get a copy of that permit for your work file or make some phone calls to the local planning and zoning department to make sure that the special use doesn't transfer to a new owner. And don't forget to report the current use in the appraisal report!!!

Mr Marshall .. I think you are right here. More often than not those variances and licenses are issued to an owner and thus would be ? Personal Property ? ... certainly not part of the realty.
Good post.

Shawn Bounds

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Thank you all for your help. I do appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks