• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Commission Draw Appraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Albert

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
California
Is anyone familiar with working for a company as an appraiser on a commission draw? How exactly does this work?

I've saw a few positions in California as a Residential Appraiser with this type of pay. Any employed appraisers working for a bank/broker?

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I've not heard of an appraiser working on a commission/draw, but it's done all the time with sales positions. You would get a fixed regular salary that is reconciled against commissions peiodically. For example, say your split was $200 per appraisal and you receive $1000 per week in salary with a quarterly reconciliation. If at the end of the quarter, you had averaged exactly 5 appraisals per week, it would be a wash and you would neither give to nor receive from the house. If you had averaged more than 5 appraisals per week, the house would pay you. If less than 5 per week, you pay the house. It's not a bad way to go as you have a fixed paycheck.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
This is typical for lenders with staff appraisers. They get a base, and the base is credited against the work income generated. You may not make as much as a fee appraiser doing the same work, but if the work's slow, at least something's coming in.

Joe Milla

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
If its a lender/bank, then consider the other benifits that come with it (i.e. health, dental,etc..)

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
I've not heard of an appraiser working on a commission/draw, but it's done all the time with sales positions. You would get a fixed regular salary that is reconciled against commissions peiodically. For example, say your split was $200 per appraisal and you receive $1000 per week in salary with a quarterly reconciliation. If at the end of the quarter, you had averaged exactly 5 appraisals per week, it would be a wash and you would neither give to nor receive from the house. If you had averaged more than 5 appraisals per week, the house would pay you. If less than 5 per week, you pay the house. It's not a bad way to go as you have a fixed paycheck.

I worked SOMEWHAT that way for 5 or 6 years. However, my weekly paycheck was a guarantee and had all the typical deductions. It was based on the number of appraisals I did for them over a previous period of time. When I exceeded that number, I would get paid the standard fee as a quarterly bonus over and above my basic salary. They also allowed me to take outside assignments as long as it did not conflict with my work for them.

Walter Kirk

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
I once worked for an appraisal company on a fee split draw. I was paid $150 per week draw (this was over 20 years ago) even if I didn't generate any income. When the invoice was paid the amount of the draw was subtracted.

This guaranteed a minimal income each week even when invoices weren't paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks