• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Communicating with a RE agent about 'hitting the mark'

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Ask them for the CMA that they performed to establish the list price. Since they likely didn't and lack their own due diligence they usually sulk away like a kid denied ice cream because they didn't eat their broccoli.

Renee Healion

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
I'm newly licensed, working in a small town market. Did an appraisal, came in under contract price, and so, of course, both agents are after me to change my mind. I did tell them I'd look at some sales they thought relevant: figured I'm not perfect, I might have missed something.

Anyway, my issue is one of the agents is telling me he was 'blindsided' when the appraisal came in low. According to him, local appraisers will call him up if it looks like the opinion of market value isn't going to be as high as the contract price. Is this a thing? Seems like a violation of USPAP confidentiality to me...
That is some old school agent-whining. I heard that decades ago but not recently.
Tell them you owe your client confidentiality and they are not your client. Wait for it--they will just tell you ALL the other appraisers do it or ALL the GOOD appraisers do it. Then just do this: :leeann:
Don't fall for their BS. Don't let people who do not even know how to do their job tell you how to do yours.

Good luck and have a nice career! :)

djd09

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
you will learn the pecking order. brave appraisers starve. room 101 will adjust your attitude.

Salty

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
I don't mind talking with the angry agents. Sometimes I'm like bring it on. When they find that out I'm an agent as well the angry ones typically cool off quickly. I like to educate them on highest price vs most probable price. I also like to see any sales they think support value. Show me at least one comparable property I say. Often times its a home that requires a location adjustment that does not help them anyway. Sometimes the data just has not caught up to current conditions even with a market adjustment, it is what it is, and I can't make value. I think I have also said something like "my entire livelihood depends on this report so why on earth would I ever push the envelope for this?" and something like "I'm the one who holds the liability for this and will get called into court, not you". Or one of my favorites "So I am supposed to ignore all the sales in this development and look in that other development".

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks