• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Comp Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucySanborn

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New Hampshire
I completed an FHA report and provided comp photos that I took myself. Because one has snow in pic, they want a new one. Is this really an FHA requirement? What is to be gained by repeatedly driving by the same sale? And why would FHA have different rules for appraisers in New England and appraisers in Florida, who have no snow?
I know the neighborhood well. I will learn nothing new. It is too long of a drive to go back to gain nothing.

gregb

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Did your client specify a current photo of the comparable sales? If not, tell the client a new photo charge is $75-$150, depending on traffic and no shooters on the street. :)

LucySanborn

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
New Hampshire
Did your client specify a current photo of the comparable sales? If not, tell the client a new photo charge is $75-$150, depending on traffic and no shooters on the street. :)
Client is stating that FHA requires this. For this reason he believes that it was a known requirement for the assignment. Says he’s going to re assign and not pay me. He’s wrong, right?

gregb

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I am not current with FHA rules, ask him to site it or do some research on your own of FHA photo requirements. For your client to threaten non-payment hints that there is more going on in this situation.

LucySanborn

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
New Hampshire
I am not current with FHA rules, ask him to site it or do some research on your own of FHA photo requirements. For your client to threaten non-payment hints that there is more going on in this situation.
There is no more. It’s just the pic. I’ve been researching and can’t find this info anywhere. He keeps sending me the words “original photo” and I keep telling him it is original. I’ll call FHA call center.

Jim Bartley

Professional Status
State
Virginia
There is no mention that the photo be current to the assignment. This is from page 514 of the 4000.1

FHA Minimum Photograph Requirements
Comparable Sales, Listings, Pending Sales, Rentals, etc.
 Front view of each comparable utilized
 Photographs taken at an angle to depict both the front and the side when possible
 Multiple Listing Service (MLS) photographs are acceptable to exhibit comparable condition at the time of sale. However, Appraisers must include their own photographs as well, to document compliance.

gregb

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Good luck! Wonder why he is confused about an "original photo" versus a photo taken on the day of inspection, which seems to be the case here? Maybe offer to include an additional MLS photo of the comp, if there is one. Or, if the report does not need it, offer to delete the comp...

One stip at a time, former taco bell reviewers offer what they can since they have not been properly trained.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I agree with the reviewer standard scope of work for almost any assignment - I believe your FHA HOC would also agree so just get in your car and next time take new comp photos.

gregb

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I agree with the reviewer standard scope of work for almost any assignment - I believe your FHA HOC would also agree so just get in your car and next time take new comp photos.

Not in the standard scope of work for VA or for any of my direct lender clients to provide new comp photos. Getting in the car and next time take new comp photos is not the solution to the problem the OP is now facing. :)

LucySanborn

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
New Hampshire
I called home ownership center. He said there is no reason for appraisers to waste their time by going back. It is absolutely not required. Sorry to have wasted your time. You must work in an area where everything is close to each other. It’s no small thing to retake some photos. Thanks for input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks