• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Comp site size

ramrcdk

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
remember we are to research and verify.
...after gathering primary information from the MLS Data Source, i use multiple Verification Source(s) such as the assessor report, deed, survey, phone call to agent/buyer/seller, or research office files.
YOU COMMUNICATE: "Please send the information for review you have as being... ___ different___. " If by _X amount of (attempted) communications__ the client does not, use your best due diligence to report. Observe, verify, & report ... & NAME YOUR SOURCES.
DO your JOB!
Always & forever, document every communication is A best practice. How you gonna remember 5 years from NOW?
Remaining diligent = to refrain from being IN trouble.

glenn walker

Professional Status
State
California
I never considered taking a lot size from MLS as "due diligence" --Maybe the OP should really screw this up and ask for a "survey" after all sounds like he has already lost the client and if it ever gets reviewed it will give everybody a good laugh after all a certified appraiser with a college degree who cant figure this one out ? -- "Scary " may be time to think about getting a job at the local "Home Deporter" :)

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
In counterpoint, it's easy for us in CA to assume that everyone else across the nation has the same access to assessor maps and public records info when that's obviously not the case.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
In counterpoint, it's easy for us in CA to assume that everyone else across the nation has the same access to assessor maps and public records info when that's obviously not the case.
Then why does this issue come up so rarely on this forum?

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
People in other areas of the nation are constantly talking about having to physically go to the County to get public records. It's my assumption they are making those trips and paying for copies of these records out of necessity, not for entertainment purposes.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I find it mildly entertaining. But then I'm kind of a jerk sometimes.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
Me too. Part of the job description, ya?

Sid Holderly

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
In this area in small towns or lake properties, there may be multiple lots, vacated streets and alley attached to the description.
I may sal Lot 10, VAC alley 0.02

Lot 10 is listed as 60x120 or 7200 sf but you have to add the .02 acres from the vacated alley making it 8071 sf. This is an oversimplification
but common. Some lake area lots plotted for mobile homes but then used for stick built homes may contain parts of several lots and vacations.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
People in other areas of the nation are constantly talking about having to physically go to the County to get public records. It's my assumption they are making those trips and paying for copies of these records out of necessity, not for entertainment purposes.
While infrequent, sometimes you do what you have to do. It is easier for me to get a deed from the panhandle of Oklahoma than my home county 400 miles away. There is no comparable source for deeds that is Arkansas state wide and affordable... Whereas I can draw 50 deeds from OKlahoma for $25 a month. And some counties are free. In Arkansas the county next to me will have the survey and deed on line....but again my home county has only a GIS site, and you can wade thru it and still not find the surveys, and deeds? no way. It's real easy to go to the county clerk and takes about 2 minutes on their computers but you cannot access it on line. Why? Damifino. They just updated the entire office space and for the 4th time in 10 years redid the "research" room. Why not just spend the money putting that interface on line? But it is a 2 hour round trip for me and I do it with some regularity.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
I work in two counties. In the secondary county they have GIS and have for a few years now. Before they had it getting a plat was driving to the courthouse almost an hour away. Now that they have it I send an e-mail to Derek and it costs me $2, billed monthly.

In my county there may be a sketch of the land but you might not be able to identify where it is. The state has subdivision maps but I don't do a lot of subdivision stuff. My county is getting GIS but few appraisers know anything about it and it is not available on-line. In the past I have always gone to the country and rummaged through the books and made copies but at least they are free. Now with GIS I send an e-mail and they give them to me for free.

Assessment records in most townships cost $2 each and my bill has been in excess of $200/month. There is an appraiser who works in my area who actually puts in his reports that he uses Zillow as confirmation and does NOT pull assessor records as the $2/record are not financially feasible for the fees he gets (something like that).

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks