• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Comp Value Checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
North Dakota
The dog days are almost here at the ranch and it’s hot. How hot? Well, it’s so hot I saw a coyote
stay in the shade and watch a crippled rabbit crawl by 6 feet in front of him without making any
effort at easy meal. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still working like a dog, but I know my limitations.
I looked at 2 REOs early this morning before they turned into ovens and did a driveby on my way
over to Juan’s Cantina. The next 3 hours were spent cooling off and battling one of Juan’s megga
Tequilas. I won the skirmish. :) When I got back to the ranch, my “Above Average” appraisal
day suddenly went to “Fair” and then was downgraded to “Poor”. I’ve been reading for a couple
of years here about people getting those crazy value check faxes with outrageous demands. Well,
I lost my innocence today and got my first one. I also had 2 phone messages from the rascals. It
was labeled a COMPARABLE VALUE CHECK with about 3 disclaimers stating it was not an
appraisal. Naturally they wanted it for free. While I was reading this nonsense I got another call
from them which was rather rude wanting to know why I hadn’t completed their request yet. He
hung up before I could start a tongue lashing. This one did it folks. I’m over the edge and I just
might go postal. My anger is not only towards the hose bags faxing out those orders, but also to
our own brethren who actually honor these requests. When they call back again which I’m sure
they will, I’m going to ask them for references....I want the names of some appraisers who
perform their free value checks................developing

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
Bobby, those faxes hit the trash and the calls never get returned. If by happenstance they catch me, I tell them to find someone else. Even though they always have penty of business my way that they want to send me. They must teach that line to all new phone jockeys!

Remember, the more you ignore them, the more you waste their time instead of yours.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
So ya been out thar stomping around those lovely REO's, and kicked over a rock. Bet ya' didn't see him slither out, but you let 'em free like a Genie out of a bottle. :huh: Now he won't leave you alone. :angry: Atleast you use E-Fax so he won't waste your paper. ;)

Good idea, I still like how your mind works.......I'll be developing my our list here as well....what ya think we should do to them when we find out who they are ? B)

Maybe everybody on the forum should start a list of
these compers and Wayne can publish a list of their names (and of course delete those who are found to be members of this forum) :eek: :rofl:

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
Never ceases to amaze me how many people will do work for FREE so as to not lose a GOOD Client. Ladies & Gentleman if they want U to WORK 4 FREE they ARE NOT a GOOD Client. My only reason for working is to enjoy my Free time in order to accomplish this ANYTHING related to WORK must be compensated with American currency, the larger the denominations the more effort will be applied.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I send 'em back marked Not In Service Area even if it is. That'll get them to go away.

Roger

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
.... if they want U to WORK 4 FREE they ARE NOT a GOOD Client.
Got that right!!!!

I had a couple minutes of fun with one of these yesterday. Called and wanted comp checks. I said, "Sure! You can fax me the order, overnight the $325 fee, and I'll get right on that for you." He got all excited for a moment because he didn't understand that I wasn't going to give him a value until AFTER I received the money. LOL At least I know that HE now knows that any appraiser agreeing to do this is likely acting illegally PLUS is pretty dumb for working for free. I know it doesn't matter to him, but he is aware now if he wasn't before.

Joe Gomberg

Sophomore Member
I was thinking of comp checks for free but with a $300 s & h /fax/email fee? Sounds reasonable to me... :beer:

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
:D Joe, I think you've got the right idea. :beer:

Caterina Platt

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New Mexico
Bobby,

Do not let these low budget, bottom feeders ruin your day. You can politely tell them no. Now, we know these pushy types won't usually let that ride. They'll fuss 'n whine a bit, perhaps even get indignant. Then, by God, they've opened the door of your wrath. Tee hee. At that point, you have every right to unload with both barrels. That's only if the tequila's left you feeling a bit confrontational.

Me, I do something similar to Roger's idea. That, or I tell them my turn times on comp checks are running 4 weeks out. 'What! Why???' Simple economics folks, I have paying customers in line far ahead of you. 'Oh.' click.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks