• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Comparable Has Re-sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compass Rose

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
The subject property is in need of work. There is a sale I want to use as a comparable that sold almost a year ago. When it sold it was also in need of work and very similar in other aspects. It was remodelled and then re-sold 5 months later.

Can I use the older sale date/price/condition? I could mention in the addendum, or under the grid that it re-sold more recently but condition was considered more comparable the first time.... It sold for about 16% more the second time, so if I were to use the second sale, I would have to make a large condition adjustment.

Whattaya think?

Thanks!

airphoto

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
With appropriate remarks in the 3-year sales history ..

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
I would use it...just explain why. Something like "This property was in very similiar condition to the subject property at the time of sale. It was purchased by an investor who has rehab'd the property and sold it for a profit". This is a great comp because it demonstrates the market for properties in the same condition as your subject.

I would also hang on to the data on that sale and start a file on "investor rehab properties". It will demonstrate how condition affects price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks