• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Comparables In A Different State

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpoettker

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Illinois
I have a review order. The order is for a property in Missouri. The OA used comparables in Missouri which could be acceptable. However, OA also included some comparables in Illinois. Looking further, the OA is not licensed in Illinois. Is that a problem?

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Not from the license stand point. The appraiser is licensed to appraiser in the State where the subject property is located, correct? It really does not matter where the comps. are located. He is not appraising the comps..

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
I can think of few reasons to cross a state line for a RESIDENTIAL assignment considering they would be in different states and school districts, taxes are very different in those two states and they are separated by the Mississippi River.

If it is commercial then there is no problem with using comps from different states if they are applicable. The appraiser does not need to be licensed in a state to use a comparable from that state.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
It can be common practice here between MO, AR, and OK. The reason is the lack of properties in the three states where they meet. But normally, I would be able to find sales of conventional houses, land, or farms within the state. But Poultry farms, dairies, large ranches, etc. do compete across state lines. Same with specialized property like churches, mega warehouses, small airport hangars, etc. But for residential property? It would have to be a very unique property before I would not confine myself to the same state...if close enough to a county line within the state, then perhaps I'd view it differently. Since some of our school districts cross county lines, I would, in particular view them favorably.

I always wondered how the heck you would appraise property in that narrow panhandle of N. West Virginia though... Go to Ohio? or PA?

Peter LeQuire

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Appraising very high dollar houses in this region may very well require crossing state lines to find sales of reasonably competitive properties.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
Appraising Riverfront property Might be a really good reason to cross the river.
Especially if used as comps 4+ but not for comps 1-3.

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Appraising Riverfront property Might be a really good reason to cross the river.
Especially if used as comps 4+ but not for comps 1-3.

I recently saw an appraisal report for a property located on a lake that is on a state border and two of four comps were from the other state....the appraisal report included a very detailed narrative explanation and appeared to be a credible report.

sandpiperapp

Professional Status
State
New York
Do buyers for this type of house and location look in both states?

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Do buyers for this type of house and location look in both states?
That would be the question to ask. I know a number of people who bought "across the line" because land was cheaper. A friend sold 80 acres near Walmart...covered in houses now. Bought 300 acres of ranch with twice the house they had for the same price 60 miles away in OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks