• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Competency Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peggy Wright

Sophomore Member
My super got a call to appraise a vacated gas station. He is a CGR. I have been looking throught USPAP and have not come across "specifics" of what CGR can or can not do that is commercial. Now, he has done quite a bit of commercial work, small retail, multi family, etc. He is questioning if his is qualified in the state's eyes to do the appraisal.

So, this brings to mind a question for me. Where can I find what I am qualified/not qualified to do in CGR status when I get there? I have contacted the local state licensing dept. and they say they will call back (3 times) and have not.

I am aware that USPAP indicates one must be competent, which may include education specific to the type of appraisal, co-oping the work with an appraiser who is familiar with the type of assignment. Is that the guiding light, of sorts, or are there "specific guidelines" I am not coming across?

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Peggy,

You have it pretty much down IMHO. If you have not completed that type of assignment before then you must take the neccessary steps to become competent in regards to that type of property. If your mentor has never done a gas station before then he/she would have to take the neccessary steps to ensure that he/she is competent. Just like you laid out, education, finding an appraiser to co-op the assignment with. There are not some fast and hard rules to the competency but IMHO if your mentor is questioning his/her competency to complete the assignment then he/she may not be competent.

Ryan

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
Thats a good question. I like Ryan's answer and sometimes you don't know your not competent till you get into an job and discover what is really involved. A gas station I would suspect is a good example.

I was asked to appraise some leased land a while back. The more I got into it the more I realized I need help. I accepted the job before I had read the lease. It had some conditions that had a big effect on value and I had to educate myself (become competent) on how to appraise it.

So to answer you question I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. It's something you learn as you go. Just because your not competent doesn't mean you can't gain competency and do the job. Hopefully you find out ahead of time though! :mrgreen:

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Environmental issues most likely for a gas station property. If you take this on, make sure you check and double check for spills/clean-up issues and make it subject to an complete environmental assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks