• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Complex or Commercial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I am trying to help save the license of a local appraiser who tried to upgrade to Cert. Gen. Seems she did some commercial properties w/o co-signature that exceeded $250,000 limitation under the mistaken notion that somehow that applied to the loan amount not the actual appraised value. Submitted as examples of her work, they are now going to a full board meeting and possibly sanctioning her.

I wrote a letter to the board in her support and how we were short handed that I hoped they would not be too harsh. Seems they had little problem with content of the report, only the limitation problems.

When lic. came along in 1992, the $250,000 limit was a much larger property than the same dollars will buy today. That means there are fewer and fewer properties that CR's can appraise without co-signatures. And who wants to co-sign work of someone else? It is not profitable either for one or the other party, or else the client is paying double. The person above writes reports in a different fashion from my self, and personality wise I certainly don't desire a business relationship with this appraiser. But without my or someone's co-sig, I am going to be stuck with quite a bit of additional small commercial work that she currently does and frankly, I don't want it.

Lastly, I posed this question time and again and have yet a satisfactory answer. We are often asked to appraise 40 acres (or 80, 120, even 400) with a dwelling and maybe a barn. Cattle or horses are not particularly profitable, but serve to offset some of the cost of the land. Add two poultry barns. Do we suddenly have a commercial property (likely not enough income to claim as a full time job) OR is it now a complex residential property? And if the barns do not have a contract and are vacant, does that change the status? It may change the H & B use, but does it change it from Res to Comm to Res again???? HUH? HUH?

If, as I would contend, 40 ac. + dwelling + (2) poultry barns = Complex residential and not commercial property, a CR could appraise it even if it was worth $1,000,000. The laws [banking & appraisal] need to set some kind of definitions for "Complex". Particularly, as it relates to agri properties. It is not unusual to have $120,000 worth of land, $120,000 dwelling, and $120,000 worth of poultry barns. Equal mixes of land, residential, and agricultural. Currently according to the Regs, it is the CLIENT (Bank) who determines if a property is complex or not (and you thought that was your call, right?)

Bill_FL

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Terrel,

I would look at it as follows:

What is a typical chicken farm in the area? Are there any? In order to sustain a viable commerical operation, how many chickens are needed? Does this property fit that profile?

Could this property better be described as a "gentlemans" farm? A typical city worker who "wants to get back to the farm" and as a hobby (defined as not being able to suport the property) raises some chickens, corn, a few head of cattle, etc. This is the weekend farmer who can not support the property by the farming operation.

If it is the latter, I would not see why a CR could not perform the appraisal. It would obviously be a complex residential property, not a commerical use.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks