• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Computer reading 3.25 GB of 4 memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

KYLECODY

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Just installed 2 new sticks to my Dell desktop, totalling 4 gigs. I have XP Pro if that matters. Under General System Properties(control panel) it says the system has 3.25 GBs of RAM. Why doesnt it recognize all 4?? For whatever reason almost a full stick isnt being used. Is this common? Or can I enhance/optimize better?

KYLECODY

Professional Status
State
Arizona
Allright, figured it out. XPs 32 bit platform will only read 3.25 of 4 gigs. Supposedly anything over 2 gigs on XP is overkill and wont really help unless you have super high intensive memory programs..I just use Alamode so probably dont need the extra memory..My laptop has 4 gigs but Vistas 64 bit, it does recognize all 4 gigs.

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Go to the Dell site and update your BIOS.

matthewl

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
New York
In addition, if your video card is integrated into the motherboard, it will reserve the ram for video. You can also upgrade to a video card with dedicated memory, just did that myself, got a GeForce 8800 GT with 512 mb also got it to have two monitors for my dell with 3gb ram and have seen a huge performance increase, now my OS recognizes all 3 gbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks