• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Confessions of a Subprime Mortgage Broker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura Goldware

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
http://www.newsweek.com/id/121512?ref=patrick.net

"His biggest criticisms, though, are reserved for mortgage brokers and appraisers."

"They also routinely gamed the appraisal system, encouraging appraisers to look for "comparables" that were far nicer homes in better neighborhoods—all in an effort to drive up the appraised value of the home they were mortgaging."

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
http://www.newsweek.com/id/121512?ref=patrick.net

"His biggest criticisms, though, are reserved for mortgage brokers and appraisers."

"They also routinely gamed the appraisal system, encouraging appraisers to look for "comparables" that were far nicer homes in better neighborhoods—all in an effort to drive up the appraised value of the home they were mortgaging."

Say it ain't so! I'm shocked...absolutely shocked by this news!

JonGalt

Professional Status
State
Illinois
"The rate of property appreciation experienced on a national basis over the last seven years was not only a function of market demand, but was due, in part, to the subprime industry's acceptance of overvalued appraisals, coupled with a high percentage of credit-challenged borrowers who financed with no money down," Bitner writes.

The rarely mentioned side effect of massive appraisal/broker fraud on values. I just finished an appraisal where property values declined over 40% in the last year, the neighborhood was sub-prime heaven for several years. Of course the broker/LO owned appraisers had been inflating values and ignoring home conditions for years over there.

Maybe I should write a book too. I could call it "Ethical Appraising in the Sub-Prime Market". I have some free time, and it would be a very short book.

Roscoeman

Professional Status
State
Oregon
The rarely mentioned side effect of massive appraisal/broker fraud on values. I just finished an appraisal where property values declined over 40% in the last year, the neighborhood was sub-prime heaven for several years. Of course the broker/LO owned appraisers had been inflating values and ignoring home conditions for years over there.

Maybe I should write a book too. I could call it "Ethical Appraising in the Sub-Prime Market". I have some free time, and it would be a very short book.

How short would it be!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks