• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Conflict Or Not, The Poll

Can one perform an appraisal and home inspection for the same transaction?

• No, not at all under any circumstances.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, no problem with performing both.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee SW IL

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
Appraisal is required for mortgage financing, Lender is your client.
Home inspection is requested by the buyer.

I will not be voting.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
OK I am just curious...
Lee Said he wouldn't vote, and at least some folk feel this is prohibited...

OR or or could it be the case that

or is that they feel it is just not a goood idea?

Please clarify!~

Larry Lyke

I voted no, but I suppose if you feel like a politician and are willing to "triangulate." it'd work.

Of course, it's a totally bad idea.

Let's see, the one with the money to lend is the appraiser's client for the loan appraisal. The lender's customer is that same appraiser's client for a no-holds-barred absolute honest "apprisal" of the house's condition -- in which the home inspector by honestly exhibiting the house's bad ponts to the buyer dissuades the buyer from buying.

In order to get both sides of the transaction fee, the appraiser does the appraisal first, of course, right?

Doesn't this lender want to see the home inspection report. It's written into the contract... No?

I'm not saying in a very small, perhaps rural area, it can't be done. But I'd set up some sort of mutual referral arrangement with at least one other person.

I'm not as concerned about the risks, although they are too many. It's just the cross-pollination of keeping your stories straight when presented with 2 written reports saying diametrically opposing things. In a lawsuit, you'd be tied to the witness stand with rope: not only would you stand no chance of winning, but you'd lose-lose and have to pay both parties.

What I'm saying is the case would be indefensible even if with all your heart you feel you are right and want to defend the case on principle. Only weak court cases would ever stoop to the low of defending on principle -- that's tantamount to simply defending your honor because you feel it's the brave thing to do.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
Originally posted by Larry Lyke@Apr 4 2003, 09:16 PM

In order to get both sides of the transaction fee, the appraiser does the appraisal first, of course, right?
No, in most cases the agreement to purchase is written contingent on the results of the Inspection. It is done long before financing in most cases.

Doesn't this lender want to see the home inspection report. It's written into the contract... No?

Nope, never had one ask for it. All they care about is giving someone the money and collecting interest. Or the broker wants to collect his commission.

Terry Russell

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Montana
Of course one can do a home inspection, appraisal, act as broker, lender and as your own attorney in a court of law.

For a multitude of reasons, it is really not a good idea.

tr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks