• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Considering Becoming an Appraiser in Texas

Alsie35

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Well , I can tell you that it is difficult to find a mentor/sponsor simply because so many lenders specifically state "no trainees" on their orders. You can put they assisted in the report, but they don't want them signing the reports. I suppose AMCs are the same way. I don't know as I don't accept AMC work. My son is currently my trainee and basically we have to inspect together as a team for him to get his experience. So I get very little benefits because he cannot inspect on his own due to lender requirements. I do have one client that allows trainees, but we only get 1-2 a week from them. We might inspect a little faster and get them completed a little faster, but I am not seeing any real financial benefits from having a trainee, but I do have that added expense. Frankly, having a trainee is more liability and risk than help.
Hi Tim - I'm a newbie on these boards, so I couldn't figure out how to send you a private message (if that option exists on this forum). I am about to embark on training a young man (also a close family member), and was just going to ask you if you might be able to recommend any resources or ideas on the best way to proceed. He is about to complete his 150 hours of schoolwork, has accompanied me to many inspections and 'shadowed me' in terms of practicing things like measuring, photos, etc. Now its time to get him trained on the actual job. (Here in CA he can earn his hours needed towards licensing by assisting me on my reports, ie. he doesn't need a 'trainee license', although that option also exists in CA).

I am thinking that I will first train him on using the MLS and other data resources, exporting data to the spreadsheet program that I use and show him how to start analyzing the data. Then, I am thinking of doing a page by page training in filling out the 1004 Form (for starters), then progress to having him input data, select and type comps, do market analysis, etc. Obviously a slow process that I want to do a good job with - I have never trained anyone and my own training was 2 decades ago in a large office environment.

Thank you for your time, and thanks for any ideas/tips you are able to send my way.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Hi Tim - I'm a newbie on these boards, so I couldn't figure out how to send you a private message (if that option exists on this forum). I am about to embark on training a young man (also a close family member), and was just going to ask you if you might be able to recommend any resources or ideas on the best way to proceed. He is about to complete his 150 hours of schoolwork, has accompanied me to many inspections and 'shadowed me' in terms of practicing things like measuring, photos, etc. Now its time to get him trained on the actual job. (Here in CA he can earn his hours needed towards licensing by assisting me on my reports, ie. he doesn't need a 'trainee license', although that option also exists in CA).

I am thinking that I will first train him on using the MLS and other data resources, exporting data to the spreadsheet program that I use and show him how to start analyzing the data. Then, I am thinking of doing a page by page training in filling out the 1004 Form (for starters), then progress to having him input data, select and type comps, do market analysis, etc. Obviously a slow process that I want to do a good job with - I have never trained anyone and my own training was 2 decades ago in a large office environment.

Thank you for your time, and thanks for any ideas/tips you are able to send my way.
Honestly there is no better training than actually doing the reports. First, have them watch how you do things. Then let them give it a try. There is no way to prepare them for everything that comes up in appraisal reports, but if you diligently review their work and explain to them why they can't do this or can't do that, it is the best training they can have. I do suggest you have them read the Fannie Mae selling guide "underwriting the appraisal report" section. I am amazed at how many seasoned appraisers have never read it and don't know so may Fannie Mae guidelines. Teaching them the proper selection of comparable sales is also very important. Reminding them they need another sale with a pool, two bedrooms, workshop, etc, etc. I just heard an appraiser (AMC report) tell an agent he could not give the balcony any value because he didn't have and sales with a balcony.

Alsie35

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
California
Honestly there is no better training than actually doing the reports. First, have them watch how you do things. Then let them give it a try. There is no way to prepare them for everything that comes up in appraisal reports, but if you diligently review their work and explain to them why they can't do this or can't do that, it is the best training they can have. I do suggest you have them read the Fannie Mae selling guide "underwriting the appraisal report" section. I am amazed at how many seasoned appraisers have never read it and don't know so may Fannie Mae guidelines. Teaching them the proper selection of comparable sales is also very important. Reminding them they need another sale with a pool, two bedrooms, workshop, etc, etc. I just heard an appraiser (AMC report) tell an agent he could not give the balcony any value because he didn't have and sales with a balcony.
Thank you Tim! All very good and common sense advice - really appreciate it! (y)

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks