• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Consulting Firm Hired By A.i

Status
Not open for further replies.

VolcanoLvr

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Washington
What do you know about AI’s hiring a consulting firm … McKinley Advisors …. to “……conduct a study designed to explore how members and other professionals perceive the Appraisal Institute……”

First I’ve heard about this………………….from Jonathan Miller’s blog post today (7/14/17).

Did you receive a letter from McKinley?

Were you informed that AI was going to do this?

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
Your dues money at work.

At least you now know they care enough, to study their reputation in the industry.

djd09

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
literature-dorian_gray-mirror-true-distorted-self-cman403_low.jpg

Tell them to send a survey, i will fill it out.

Pittsburgh Pete

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
the will be surveying "members and professionals" don't hold your breath.

djd09

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
Will it be UAD formatted?

Maybe if they sent it to their little canadian friends, they will get good results.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
The AI sent out a communication alerting members that it was engaging a consulting company to take this survey. I saw the consultant survey before I saw the AI communication and at first glance, thought it may be a scam.
But it is legitimate.

At least you now know they care enough, to study their reputation in the industry.
A good thing for any organization to do from time to time. I'll happily pay for this out of my dues if it provides feedback that can generate positive (at least from my perspective) change within the organization.

BTW, since we are talking about the AI and things it is doing/considering/floating....

1. As a direct result of the refocus on residential appraising, the Institute is launching a regular webinar (scheduled quarterly) series that is focused on matters/issues most relevant to residential appraisers. The first webinar is in a few weeks and its topics are:
  • a discussion of Advocacy and the Residential Appraiser covering the latest federal and state legislative and regulatory developments impacting residential valuation.
  • This includes waiver plans of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, FHA and VA updates, housing finance reform legislation, and state legislative initiatives such as statute of limitation protections and evaluations.
There is no fee for this webinar. I believe it is open to all members but the notices seemed to go to residential licensed appraisers or those with a residential designation (SRA even if the member has a commercial license).

2. A new 45-day notice was published on July 10th. In it, there is a recommended change to the by-laws regarding affiliate membership and time-requirements for designation. Since 2013, Practicing Affiliates were required to declare a path to designation after the first year, and then meet certain benchmarks once on that path. While extensions were flexible, many members had no desire to obtain a designation but a desire to maintain membership. We lost many appraisers (mostly concentrated in the residential group; but I personally know of some commercial appraisers who dropped out due to no desire to earn the commercial designation). This notice is changing that requirement and establishing no designation-requirement for the members.

I've been banging my shoes on the desk for the last two years on both of those items; the second one is very significant/positive as far as I'm concerned. Kudos should to out to Michigander, who is on the task force that is steering the AI back to a comprehensive residential appraisal focus.

None of the above will excite or impress those who think the AI is worthless (I get that).
For those of us who have been advocating these changes, it is a big step in the right direction.
For those who have left because they felt pushed to get a designation, I hope they reconsider and take another look.
For those who were turned off due to the perception that the AI ignored residential, these changes may begin to warrant a reconsideration of the organization.

Talk is cheap, and these are very early and initial steps... but they are positive steps and the organization is moving in the right direction in my not so humble opinion.
The proof of the pudding is in the tasting; it is up to the AI to demonstrate it does offer positive benefits to residential appraisers, so we will see. I am, nonetheless, encouraged.

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona
I got a letter from AI telling me to expect the survey and two days later i got the survey.

djd09

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
AI would have to pay me to join. Their time to stand up has come and gone. But good luck trying.

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona
AI would have to pay me to join. Their time to stand up has come and gone. But good luck trying.
i think they know you don't like them. Lots of touchy feely questions to find out why we don't like them.

djd09

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
It is not about liking. It is about doing. If they need a survey to know what is wrong then the problems are internal and no matter what the results are , they will remain clueless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks