• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Contacting HUD To Ask A Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackimoya

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Anybody know how to contact HUD to ask them a question, preferably by email (so I will have the response in writing?

Tom D

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
email works best, but i think it took some days.

jackimoya

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
email works best, but i think it took some days.
what email address did you use, that's what I'm looking for.

Tom D

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
i only did it once, but i think it's on the HUD web site. maybe near their phones. i either remember reading that, or when you call the hot line it suggests where to email. might get a faster, and more detailed answer asking the question on this blog. i'm sure someone eles will help soon. we like to see our name on the 1st page.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
If you are located in California your Hoc is probably Santa-Ana. You can call 1-800-225-5342 or go to www.HUD.gov/answers ** My experience is it's best to call and get routed into your Hoc and talk to the appraisal staff. Then get some direction. If you E-mail them it may take days. They are really flooded with calls and E-mails since the new 4000.1 became effective last month. I would also suggest you go to their site and download the new 4000.1 FHA handbook to your desktop for reference . BUT most of the stuff we ask about is covered in their FAQ frequently asked section.

jackimoya

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
Thank you for the responses!

The FAQ link didn't work, so I went ahead and sent them an email. I'm asking them if being claustrophobic (which I am) is an acceptable reason for doing only a 'head and shoulders' inspection of a crawl space. Right now I'm just turning down all FHA inspection in which the subject has a crawl space.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
This might just be considered amazing. I had a dust up with an AMC over a FHA "rule." In the heat of the argument the AMC 'chief appraiser' (really?) said, "if you can get a HOC to agree, then I'll not make it a requirement." I said fine, I'll call them. Now I expected not to be able to talk to anyone and I could claim I hadn't heard back for another week. So I call the local office and they give me the HOC phone number. Call on a Friday at 3pm, not expecting to talk to anyone. Ask my question, get a knowledgeable person in a minute and he confirms the AMC can ram the requirement down my throat. I say, "but....that doesn't make any sense." But I get the rule.

So an appraiser can call a HOC and get an answer PDQ.

jackimoya

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
This might just be considered amazing. I had a dust up with an AMC over a FHA "rule." In the heat of the argument the AMC 'chief appraiser' (really?) said, "if you can get a HOC to agree, then I'll not make it a requirement." I said fine, I'll call them. Now I expected not to be able to talk to anyone and I could claim I hadn't heard back for another week. So I call the local office and they give me the HOC phone number. Call on a Friday at 3pm, not expecting to talk to anyone. Ask my question, get a knowledgeable person in a minute and he confirms the AMC can ram the requirement down my throat. I say, "but....that doesn't make any sense." But I get the rule.

So an appraiser can call a HOC and get an answer PDQ.
I'll feel a lot more comfortable if I have it in writing from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks