• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Contribution to Appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzanne K Hansen

Sophomore Member
On another note,

What statement do you use in your appraisal to indicate your trainee's contribution to the appraisal?

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Suzanne....

I use the following on the USPAP ID form which is about the 3rd page in my reports.

"Suzanne Sommers AR1666666, a registered appraiser, has assisted in the preparation of this appraisal report. Such assistance included, research of the subject property, gathering data such as MLS comparables and market analysis. Preparing maps, computer input, and assembly of the report. All value conclusions were made by the appraiser signing this report who is solely responsible for those conclusions".

Suzanne K Hansen

Sophomore Member
Thanks, Mike,

I like you're pseudo assistant's name. If only it were so. Thigh-Master where are you when I need you. Oh well, if I don't have the looks, at least I've got gumption (as demonstrated by my willingness to join the ranks of appraisers and worse yet to do it as a start-up business with no other income!!! Yikes! Putting it in writing makes it so much more chilling.)

Thanks to you guys (all inclusive) I get a lot of help on this forum.

Suzanne

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Ahhh darn...now you went and ruined the image! If you have real guts...post your pic to the forum.

David Riggs

Sophomore Member
Suzanne,

Be carefull about how you are setting yourself up for: Success or failure?

Sounds like failure to me.

Getting started in this biz is SLOW . . . going, as any new business is. The market and other factors decides how many appraisals are going to be ordered. (Interest rates, AVM's ect.)Also as a trainee (assuming you are) it takes at least a couple of years just to understand the process and to remove your trainee status.

Your not JUST taking on appraising, your are taking on many, many hats:bookeeping, accounting, marketing, customer service, errand boy or girl, cheif bottle washer ect.

A very good book is by Michael Gerber, the E-Myth revisited. It was an eye opener for me!

The point is start with the basics. How much money will be required for you to live? Add it up. How much will you have to spend to get started? Add it up. How long will it take to break even? Then bring in an income? Be careful, Rome was not built in a day!

david

Suzanne K Hansen

Sophomore Member
Mike,

Hummm, which do you prefer, blonde brunette, redhead? :wink:

David,

Thanks for the warning. I've been at this for just under three months. I've cut my time down to 6-8 hrs for a normal (comps available) appraisal, I have one very good client, and several occassional clients, and best of all, I almost broke even last month which I'm hoping will be my slowest month (Jan). So my hope is that I can make a go of this. I have a very persnickity supervisor who inspects all homes with me, reviews every itty bitty part of the appraisal (which is good), and he is very hands-off as far as my clients and my business. So I feel things are going ok at the moment. That said, the bottom could drop out any minute with the Invasion of Iraq or any other disaster.

I'm grateful for your comments and concerns and for the book reference. Sounds interesting.

Suzanne

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
We cut the comment to the minimum and the State and clients haven't griped. "Significant professional assistance was provided by Ima Appraiser, Appraisal Trainee #1111111."

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks