• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Converted Garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Siegfried

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
I have become FHA approved, but will not accept any assignments until I take the class in October so I know all their rules. Meanwhile, a client asked me a question about converted garages that I can't answer. Apparently, the attached garage has been converted to living space without permits including the removal of the doors. He wants to know what FHA would require in order to lend on it. I was able to tell him that my standard way of handling this is to count it as a garage, but then subtract the cost to cure to turn it back into a garage (new doors, etc). I'm wondering what FHA's take on this is. Any thoughts?

Mike

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I have become FHA approved, but will not accept any assignments until I take the class in October so I know all their rules. Meanwhile, a client asked me a question about converted garages that I can't answer. Apparently, the attached garage has been converted to living space without permits including the removal of the doors. He wants to know what FHA would require in order to lend on it. I was able to tell him that my standard way of handling this is to count it as a garage, but then subtract the cost to cure to turn it back into a garage (new doors, etc). I'm wondering what FHA's take on this is. Any thoughts?

Mike

You have to be thorough in your analysis and report that. What does the local zoning authority say about a garage? Is a garage mandatory to be in compliance with zoning? Does the garage conversion represent any health or safety or marketability issues? Are there other comparables in the neighborhood with garage conversions? Does the local authority enforce its codes? Can a retroactive permit be issued?

You have to two issues here; the lender guidelines and FHA guidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks