• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Converting From ACI

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJP

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Indiana
Hello. Our office has used ACI for over 20 years. We're trying Alamode as we speak. While we were told that our ACI files would convert, they will only convert if they were made as xml files. Unfortunately, the majority of our files are in ACI format and not xml. Short of opening every file and saving it as xml, is there any way to convert them to zap format? Alamode reps have pretty much told us that's the only way. I like to Total software and can see it's advantages over ACI, but the loss of 20 years of data might be a bridge too far...

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I just keep ACI to open those files if I need them. The program is not updated any time recently but it matters not.
I have not used it in months, no need once I got past 3 years of Total and did not have to check ACI for prior services.

JJP

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Indiana
I just keep ACI to open those files if I need them. The program is not updated any time recently but it matters not.
I have not used it in months, no need once I got past 3 years of Total and did not have to check ACI for prior services.
So you pay the yearly fee to ACI "just in case", or will the program still work after our subscription expires?

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
will the program still work after our subscription expires?

No, I do not pay ACI. Yes, program still worked last I checked. At least to open files. Probably not for changing them and signing though.
They also used to have a free file reader only program, would think they still do.

That stuff is archived if I need or want it. Doubt I ever will. :peace:

JJP

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Indiana

Rick Stillman

Professional Status
State
Colorado
20 years? Holy moly bat kids!

I regularly remove files to be archived. I keep 12 months worth for good measure. Only two or three times (out of thousands) have I ever had the need to retrieve an older report - and then it was only for the floor plan. I can do a new one from scratch in one to two hours - so even that is not a critical concern.

Once they age past one year - like fine brandy - I consider them shipped, done, and sealed. Any new work concerning that property would be a fully invoiced new job. Since I'm getting full fee, I do the full work. No problems.

Ditch the 20 years worth of files - get with the times and ramp up your production using much better software. Don't look back. No reason to.

I do, for easy reference, keep PDF files for all my work, grouped by year. PDF files are massively smaller, and super easy to find using my filing system. Anything I need to know can be easily found in the PDF files.

Those old files - in cold storage. Never to be revisited again. Today is a new day!

Flakey

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
South Carolina
You should be keeping a PDF copy of every appraisal in your separate work file along with all the other docs you generate when doing an appraisal. I think its risky storing files in a proprietary format available from only one source. What happens when all the appraisal software is only available online?

Cape Bob

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
Hello. Our office has used ACI for over 20 years. We're trying Alamode as we speak. While we were told that our ACI files would convert, they will only convert if they were made as xml files. Unfortunately, the majority of our files are in ACI format and not xml. Short of opening every file and saving it as xml, is there any way to convert them to zap format? Alamode reps have pretty much told us that's the only way. I like to Total software and can see it's advantages over ACI, but the loss of 20 years of data might be a bridge too far...

That's one of my major reasons for not switching from Clickforms. Tech support told me that I could convert all my files, but that was over a year ago and they still haven't fixed the conversion program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks