• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Coopetition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
He's spot on. He steps on AI a little which I don't like but many of their members are prolly on his side too and just can't say it.

His 4 to 6 month projection may be off. When is the final deadline for states to be in compliance on AMC regs?

He may be off on Coster too on antitrust lawsuit against Virginia. I don't think he was bringing antitrust allegations against AMCs but against the state. Those allegations were crazy anyway. Coster should have brought antitrust allegations against himself.

Last edited:

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
The turkey sees the farmer bring a bucket very day with corn. But after three months the farmer brings an axe, not corn. The turkey is puzzled...briefly. Once the AMC becomes a competitor, these little AMC / Joan Trice meetings smack of price fixing.

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I wouldn't doubt antitrust charges being brought from the government in the next 4-6 months at all. If a state brings the allegations then the FTC will be right there.

Last edited:

Amy Perkins

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
They want to make appraisal mills and get rid of the inspection requirement. Maybe it's customary and reasonable for the AMC since they don't do anything. Also, trainees need to the know the market... A new breed of dependent slave appraisers. Collusion to take our money, get your own fee! They keep driving fees down and guess what, they will negotiate themselves out of their own profit. It is a game changer because it's a takeover of our industry. If the purpose of the AMC is to be the mediator between the appraiser and the bank, then how can they actually hire appraisers? Can we all just pay the fee for operating an AMC and get the whole fee from the bank now?

gregb

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
They want to make appraisal mills and get rid of the inspection requirement. Maybe it's customary and reasonable for the AMC since they don't do anything. Also, trainees need to the know the market... A new breed of dependent slave appraisers. Collusion to take our money, get your own fee! They keep driving fees down and guess what, they will negotiate themselves out of their own profit. It is a game changer because it's a takeover of our industry. If the purpose of the AMC is to be the mediator between the appraiser and the bank, then how can they actually hire appraisers? Can we all just pay the fee for operating an AMC and get the whole fee from the bank now?

Five California banks pay me the whole fee, with no AMC interference.

Non Sequitur

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Louisiana
Five California banks pay me the whole fee, with no AMC interference.
What about the poor sucker who works in a market with one or two indie banks?

The podcast is dead on. It's all up in the air now but AMCs aren't waiting around to see what the upcoming deregulation will bring, they are moving toward shaping it. The only hope for a truly independent profession [on the mortgage origination side] is to kill AMCs, I don't think that will happen. I hope, but realistically there's to much money backing AMCs.

Last edited:

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
get rid of the inspection requirement
actually, I think they will get their own people to measure and photo the house and YOU sign off on it. So the AMC will be in direct competition with the appraiser. As Phil notes, when too much work is available that is great. But work is slow again already so the AMC is now going to be competing with you and colluding with each other to keep their boot on your neck - that is by price fixing. And they are openly doing this and Phil called out @Joan Trice over the matter. If the AMC is our competition, then they may face suits over price fixing and I hope they do and put a stop to it. The AMC should not be allowed to do this and the "fix" for appraisers is with the STATE. Regulation of the AMC should FORBID them to act as appraisers-inspectors-etc. That takes them from administration to active appraising and in direct competition - collusion included - with the appraiser. "Shortage" of trainees was never a big problem for the AMC and the faux concern over a "shortage" is a reflection of the fact that suddenly they had to pay good money to get an appraisal and they want to drive the cost down regardless who else is hurt so long as they don't have to reduce their $1,000 fees to the borrowers.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
I don't think that will happen. I hope, but realistically there's to much money backing AMCs.
I think you can expect Phil to be spot on that once there is real money in the AMCs, they will consolidate and that almost certainly a "big dog" will basically buy a controlling interest in the AMC biz... Can you say "Corelogic"? Who else can buy 'em up and reduce competition even more?

You all do understand what "coopitition" means right? Example. Say Apple and Samsung decide on some common "parts" to their phones, and then they have market power over the suppliers that they decide to use their parts. And it works in reverse too. It's a very WalMart way...Sell us your lawn mowers cheaper or we buy the company that supplies motors to you and undercut you on the one hand and raise your cost on the other.

djd09

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
training-education-divide-show_off-kid-school-long_division-03130243_low.jpg

Dividing is the AMC specialty.

"One out of many"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks