• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Copy from web page into Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Delaware
Frequently I want to copy tabled data from MLS website for analysis.
When I do, Excel will refuse to almost do anything with it, including averaging sale prices, sorting by date, etc.

Have tried to format columns of this data in Excel - Dollars, Numbers, Dates - it doesn't work.

The only clumsy workaround I've recently found is to
(1) Paste the table into Word,
(2) Untable it,
(3) Re-table it,
(4) Now paste into Excel
(5) Format the columns

Even if I set up a Macro to do this - Phooey! The dates get lost.

?? Any ideas / solutions ??

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Have you tried using "view source" and copying from the html code, then using find and replace to replace the tags with more appropriate delimiters?

deturner

Professional Status
State
Kansas
Try this:

find a blank cell and put a "1" in it (without quotes)
copy the cell
highlight all the "numerical data" in a column and do "edit-paste special-multiply"

This will remove all blank spaces that may have copied over from the MLS and turn the data into true numerical data.

Let me know if this works.

DaveT in NC

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
Dave !!
I tried it and I thought it worked, but crazily enough, it works for the Dates, and only partially for everything else.

I can sort by Date, or Address, or Distance, etc.
--- but if I try a calculation (SUM, Average, Division, etc.) the result I get is: #VALUE!

:shrug:

H

Hall McClenahan

I copy and past into Excel, then copy and past from page one of Excel to page two and things work fine, have you tried that?

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
I copy and past into Excel, then copy and past from page one of Excel to page two and things work fine, have you tried that?

Yes.... Even tried "Paste Special" -- Values (only)
Still no joy.
How the heck can I see only a number in a cell, but there's more (or less?) than that IN the cell?

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Just checking the obvious, you do have the cell format set to 'number' don't you?

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
OK...I've GOT IT !!
Solved -- There are hidden "spaces" in the cells.
If I copy the page to WORD, highlight the resulting Table, "center" the cells, then paste into Excel, they act like normal numbers and dates.

What the technicals behind this are - I can't begin to guess, but problem solved!

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
If you have a bunch of numbers sometimes you can copy as text and then parse the results...It's no fun. Often formatting problems but I have done it. I find Quattro Pro to be easier to parse text in, once I get it there, then I can copy it or save it as a .xls spreadsheet.

Most MLS website suck for doing such work. Why they don't just publish in xls formats i donno.

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
If you have a bunch of numbers sometimes you can copy as text and then parse the results...It's no fun. Often formatting problems but I have done it. I find Quattro Pro to be easier to parse text in, once I get it there, then I can copy it or save it as a .xls spreadsheet.

Most MLS website suck for doing such work. Why they don't just publish in xls formats i donno.
MLS I work with will let you download in Excel format, but the limit per day (300 sales) is not enough if you want to look back several years and not limit the search. I'd rather have olots of data and toss out some.

The County data pages in MLS have no download function; ditto for the County site itself.

Crippled data sources.
Still .....better than the 2-foot-thick books of county data I remember from early 1980's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks